Thread: The Sea Wall

Real Name
    Bob R

The Sea Wall

Would love any comment on this I can get. Overcast day, good for pictures and I liked what I was shooting. But seems like something is missing. I used a separate contrast layer with the sky to bring it out against the wall.

The Sea Wall

Real Name
    Tommy

Re: The Sea Wall

Hi Bob,

I really like the image as a concept. I do see a few areas for improvement though...

Firstly, my pet hate, is that the horizon is not level. It needs a CCW rotation of around 3.5 degrees to level it up.

What PP software are you using?

I hope you don't mind but I had a little play in Photoshop with it and came up with this...

The Sea Wall

Firstly I straightened the horizon and cropped it so that the horizon was sitting on the top 1/3 line of the frame. Then I added a lot more contrast as I felt the original was still very flat, and sharpened it a little. I also boosted the saturation a touch.

You may not think that 'my' version is any better and it may not have been your 'vision' of the shot, but it is purely my take on it. If you tell us what PP software you use then it will help everyone on here to give more tailored tips and advice.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

For me, Tommy's version is what I'd produce from the original.

Good concept on the shoot though Bob.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by RockNGoalStar View Post
    Firstly I straightened the horizon and cropped it so that the horizon was sitting on the top 1/3 line of the frame. Then I added a lot more contrast as I felt the original was still very flat, and sharpened it a little. I also boosted the saturation a touch.
    Nice composition, Bob!

Thanks Tommy. Posting what you did for Bob's photo provides others with both the encouragement to give it a try and a before and after example of what can be done along with the steps taken.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I prefer the more muted tones of the original and also the format. I think the crop takes us in too tight on the wall, whereas the original gives us plenty air around it. I'd maybe want to put in a little more Local Contrast Enhacement (LCE) on the wall, just to make it 'pop' a bit.

But, Bob ...... that horizon! Stand in the corner and repeat 100 times - 'I will always check my horizons'.

It's a lovely shot.
    Last edited by Donald; 26th November 2011 at 04:58 PM.

Real Name
    Bob R

Thanks everyone, I like my position of the picture without cropping further, but I do like how you brought the wall out with the contrast. Tommy, I use Photoshop Elements 10, but as it doesn't convert to jpeg without first going to tiff (or other) I use Digital Professional to do the conversion from tiff to jpeg.

Donald, my humble apologies. You brought that out before to me I went to my corner (ate pumpkin pie while there) and repeated 100 times "I will always check my horizons"

Thank you all, now to go play with the picture some more.

Real Name
    Bob R

So in this view, I did keep the original in tack as much as possible, when I straightened the horizon, yes 3.5 degrees, I was surprised in how much I lost on the sides and of course had to crop further leaving a very tall picture, while not bad it kept bothering me. So I reduced the height, custom sizing, to just bring the top down below the white (slightly blown out sky) line. I then used a layer to make just the wall pop out some more.

So, what did I learn. I think the biggest was the horizon (sure hope I don't do that again). If I had watched that while taking the picture I would not have lost so much in cropping. Contrast (while coverage is a personal style) sections should be tended to - PP.

Thank you guys, what do you think now?

Bob

The Sea Wall

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderBob View Post
    Thank you guys, what do you think now?
    Yep. That'll do for me!

I like that.

Real Name
    Bob R

I have to tell you the story behind taking this shot. It was a combined effort, my wife holding onto my belt and also covering me and the camera with some canvas from the same wave that crashed to my right while taking this picture. I was kneeling on an outcropping of rock from the wall. It was really fun, we were both laughing till it hurt. The people watching us thought we were crazy and as much told us so.

Real Name
    Tommy

That version is much better Bob!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderBob View Post
    .... my wife holding onto my belt
    Either a very nice wife, or the life insurance isn't good enough to have made letting go worthwhile!!

Real Name
    Bob R

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Either a very nice wife, or the life insurance isn't good enough to have made letting go worthwhile!!
    Hey,

Real Name
    John

Hi Bob,
    I like your picture (after the PP work).
    Just goes to show this forum works very well. Great work and constructive comments from you all.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Bob,

Yes, I think I like this version better, for the slightly less dominant wall.

Good to hear the story too

Cheers,

Real Name
    Bob R

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Bob,

Yes, I think I like this version better, for the slightly less dominant wall.

Good to hear the story too

Cheers,
    Thanks Dave, I better leave well enough alone now, I started to play with it again and didn't like the results, I sitll have to learn when to quit

Bob