Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: canon 5DII body - too good or too late now.

Real Name
    Bill Yeung

canon 5DII body - too good or too late now.

Hello all:

Canon 5DII body price is dropping eventually.
    A good sign that new model will come soon?

Is it a good body to buy now no matter what 5D later model comes?

7D already satisfy my all needs in capturing sport photography.
    But heard so many nice story, saw so many nice pictures from 5dII,,,,, full frame dream.....

or I better ask,besides 8 fps and 3 fps of the 2 bodies in my situation, is it worth to invest in 5DII,
    besides sport photgraphy (Which I think 7D serve me well) , i also involve in family, person, kid portrait,,,,, some event photography.

I got 24-70L 2.8, 70-200 L 2.8 ism, and 50 1.4 sigma now.

thanks

Bill

Real Name
    Bill Yeung

Re: canon 5DII body - too good or too late now.

canada Canon is dropping $ 600 CAD!!!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Bill

I think it's a case of having to step back, be hard headed and ask yourself if you really need it, as opposed to wanting it. If the answer to that is 'Yes', then fine. If the answer is 'No' then you have to ask if that desire can be justified financially.

I think it's so very easy for us to get caught up in wanting something and then convincing ourselves that we need it.

If you want to go fro it, then clearly it is still a 5D no matter what 'new' 5D comes out tomorrow or next week, or next month.

Real Name
    Karl

I only wish they would drop in price here in Australia

If it were me - I would look at what type of photography I do the most and go from there. So if it is sports photography then the 7D would be the choice if not then the 5D Mk11.

I am in a similar boat - I have a 450D which I love but I do a bit of sport photography (kite surfers) and I want to get more professional with that so I am saving up for the 7D as I need the fast fps, otherwise the 450D would do me until it dies.

Also once the new 5D Mk111 does come out (as we assume but may not happen) what will the new features be and are they going to be features you really need them as opposed to being a nice to have??

Karl

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Bill,

In real-world terms, I doubt you'll see any difference in image quality between the two, although obviously with the caveat that you'll need to be shooting at different focal lengths. On a side note, if you have any EF-S lenses, these won't fit on a 5D2.

Real Name
    Nigel Holmes

Hi Bill,
    Go for it! I got a 5D MKII a couple of months ago and it's the best move I ever made. I dont want another camera, no matter what features it might have. I'm well happy

Real Name
    Robin

If you currently use a 7D then you are going to hate a 5D MkII. Its desperately slow, the AF is several years out of date and the metering is also far from sophisticated. In just about every possible way the 7D blows it away - far, far better camera.

Wait and get a 7D MkII whenever it makes an appearance if you have a hankering for a new toy.

Real Name
    Quote Originally Posted by black pearl View Post
    In just about every possible way the 7D blows it away - far, far better camera.
    I might add that the 7D was designed as - basically - a 1.6x crop-factor version of a 1D series, whereas the 5D2 is positioned as a high-end prosumer camera.

Real Name
    Nigel Holmes

Now I want a 7D Nah!

Real Name
    Bill Yeung

I love this forum so much is because:
    you guys are so objective.
    thanks Donald for reminding the need and want issue.
    and others replies also remind me I can do lots more with my current good gears vs making my gear bigger and more.
    thanks

Real Name
    Alan

Bill,

I have a 5d Mk2 and have used it as my main camera for wildlife with great satisfaction. Everything about it is as perfect as a non-professional would want. I'm adding the the 7d as a second body for insurance on remote trips. As a bonus, this will give me a lot more use out of my lenses in terms of reach and photography options. It almost sounds like the perfect combination if you haven't committed to a small niche in professional photography!

My lenses will hopefully include a 400 DO l IS, a 24-105 l Is and a 70-200 2.8 l IS II with some extenders. I can't imagine needing any other camera equipment (ha,ha).

Alan

Real Name
    Mike

Ummmmm…. is the cost of a 7D and a 5D Mk 2 combined the same as the new 1Dx? Getting the capabilities of both in one camera… you'll still want a back up I guess...

Real Name
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
    Ummmmm…. is the cost of a 7D and a 5D Mk 2 combined the same as the new 1Dx? Getting the capabilities of both in one camera… you'll still want a back up I guess...
    I'll keep the 1ds3 as a backup

Real Name
    Bobo

Quote Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
    Still big noob newbie so for now camera upgrades = forget it! Will rather invest in lens at this stage.

But that is one point that really needs to looked at. If the combined cost of the 7D and 5D Mk 2 are about the cost of the yet unreleased 1Dx, then I would certainly go for the latter.