Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manfrotto 055CXPRO3

Real Name
    Bobo

Manfrotto 055CXPRO3

Have been eyeing this tripod for a while - what do you guys think?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Manfrotto 055CXPRO3

There are 8 reviews on Warehouse Express and the rating is 5-Star. This is the one I will go for once the back finally gives up on hauling the 055XPROB Aluminuim version around strapped to the backpack

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Donald.

Now to find an appropriate ball-head.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Thanks Donald.

Now to find an appropriate ball-head.
    Tell me what you get when you decide.

Real Name
    Bobo

A guy I know is suggesting the 488RC4 even though the qr plate is larger then my 550D. He said it did not really matter all that much if it is tripod mounted. For the odd non-tripod shot even the larger plate will be ok to use. Also it would not need to get a larger plate should I switch to a larger format camera in the future.

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

I use the 055CXPRO4 (it's slightly shorter when packed up) and I've got to say I love using it. Superb tripods. As for a head I personally use the 410 Junior geared head but I think it's probably a tad large for use with a 550D.

Real Name
    John T

I have the 190CXPRO4 and a Markins Q-Ball M10 head. Very happy with both. I have a 488RC4 and compared to the Markins I find it heavy and jerky.

Check out Markins : http://www.markinseurope.com/en/

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Mark and John. I found the 488rc4 quite heavy after removing it from my friend's tripod. Will check out the other suggestions.
    Last edited by Bobobird; 25th November 2011 at 11:21 PM.

What will you be photographing that requires a ball head, Bobo?

I have the Manfrotto 322RC2 ball head, with quick release trigger action and find it works fine for wildlife, or any other situation where I need to quickly line up a shot.

In fact I have reversed the handle so I can control the head and line up my camera with my left hand while my right hand index finger is always on the shutter button.

It holds steady in most circumstances although there is a little bit of creep when using a long lens plus flash in a downward facing position.

Real Name
    Robin

I've the older version of the Carbon Pro and its superb, light (ish), rock solid and well made - the new one is lighter as the centre column is carbon too.

Had a 322RC2 on it but got fed up of the droop when you release the handle and the fact its limited when you want to level it on the handle side. I've tried loads of heads (cos I can order them in at work to have a play ) and settled on a 488RC2 (now a 498RC2) and its been excellent.

Real Name
    Tommy

I have the Manfrotto 055CX3 - I.e. the same tripod but without the strange articulating arm that the Pro has. I didn't feel that I would use that aspect of the tripod much so I opted for the one with out it.

I use this in conjunction with a Markins M10 head. The head is absolutely beautiful and I love it. The tripod I find is very good. It's nice and light and reasonably priced. I do find that you need to weigh it down somewhat in more challenging conditions, as there is some flexibility in it, especially when compared to the aluminium model which, when I've played with it in the shops, seems very sturdy indeed. As Donald said though, it is quite a bit heavier. He drinks Irn-Bru though and is as strong as an ox, so he'll be alright for a few years yet! :P

It still works very well. I will, one day, get a Gitzo though which are light and much sturdier... ...when Donald wins the Lottery and offers to buy me one :P

Real Name
    Ian

Interesting discussion....so much so that I had to go and look what no. my tripod is!

For years I utilised a Velbon, which when you consider I must have had 30 years out of it I cannot complain. When it came to upgrading though I went the other way, I went for a studio standard as I wanted rigidity. For far too long there were situations when the pod was compromised by vibrations, wind etc.

So having played around with a Manfrotto 058B I became convinced this was the only way to go, combined with a 'golf bag' type carrier. What a brilliant combination. Always in the boot of the car and gets used much more frequently than the Velbon, despite being huge and heavy by comparison. It has an 804RC2 head, whilst I have a 488RC2 ball head that generally lives on the monopod.

I would agree that the last thing you need is a drooping ball head and the smaller one I had previously had to go when I got a weightier camera.

Plate wise, I would just say I wouldn't want the plate sticking out too much as it may catch on things, whereas something that is in line with your camera is less likely to catch or damage other things around. The octagonal ones are nice, but I still manage fine with the standard Manfrotto rectangular plates. They are compact enough to be left on camera and lens when not in use, and means you never have that annoyance of finding you left it at home!
    Last edited by shreds; 25th November 2011 at 07:44 PM.

Real Name
    Bill S

My biggest beef with the carbon fiber tripod is it is only 1.6 lbs lighter than the aluminum version, but the price is about $200 more. Or roughly 70% of the weight for 220% of the price.

I really tried to, but I just couldn't justify that to myself and went with the aluminum version.

I top mine with a 327RC2 - there you get 40% of the weight for the same price as the 322RC2.

- Bill

Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    My biggest beef with the carbon fiber tripod is it is only 1.6 lbs lighter than the aluminum version, but the price is about $200 more. Or roughly 70% of the weight for 220% of the price.

I really tried to, but I just couldn't justify that to myself and went with the aluminum version.

I top mine with a 327RC2 - there you get 40% of the weight for the same price as the 322RC2.

- Bill
    I totally agree about the extra cost for the small weight saving.

Particularly true when I use the Manfrotto Junior Ballhead (410). If this sucker is "junior", I'd hate to lug around a "senior". Then add a 5DII with a 24mm TSE and the combination is barely portable. It would be a weapon if I could swing it.

I have the 055XPROB which has the centre column which will go horizontally - it's useful for closeup photography as one can adjust distance and angle of view by swinging the horizontal arm and not having to move the tripod.

Glenn
    Last edited by Glenn NK; 25th November 2011 at 09:08 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by RockNGoalStar View Post
    It still works very well. I will, one day, get a Gitzo though which are light and much sturdier... ...when Donald wins the Lottery and offers to buy me one :P
    Tommy - I think your mum deserves a holiday in Scotland with your good friend from CiC. Just tell her to bring her cheque book.

Real Name
    Bobo

Wow! Gone just a few hours and already have tons to digest. Thanks guys.

Okie so far -

the 488RC4 is out, plate too big for the camera and a really heavy thing.

Markins Q-Ball M10 - seems to get a couple of votes.

My needs are pretty simple - keep the camera aligned with no creep, and a 360 turning plate so it can be easily panned around without adjusting the tripod itself. The heaviest equipment atm is a 550D + 70-300L + may or may not have 430EXII mounted.

I am thinking of taking the flash off-camera for a bit more flexibility for closeups or macro.

Real Name
    Steve Owen

The ball in the 488rc4, is also not made from aluminum its a poly-resin concoction. B&H photo shows this model as discontinued, so I think I would steer clear of this one.

I use the 496RC2 on my Manfrotto, but it may not be quite what you are looking for its just a simple ball head, nothing fancy.

My ball head is five years old and appears to be no longer in production, but looks like this:

http://www.manfrotto.ca/product/8374..._Head_with_RC2

I have used it with my 30D and 5DII with the 24-105 lens with a 2X extender with no problems. It's been used for about 15,000 images and is as good as ever.

These are very easy and quick to use, and I've never had the ball head creep.

Glenn

Real Name
    Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Tommy - I think your mum deserves a holiday in Scotland with your good friend from CiC. Just tell her to bring her cheque book.
    I'm sure she'll be delighted!

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks everyone. Researching ball-heads online is a pain in the neck. Going to a shop to fondle their selections.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast