Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A true story

A true story

Once upon a time, in a galaxy far far away............ Well, my house yesterday in fact.

I was in the front garden playing with the new macro toy before we went out. There I was shooting a couple of flowers for about two minutes when my mate Dove landed a few feet away from me. It started to walk up and down doing its Dove squawk.
    I stood up and it flew over my head and landed on the side alley gate.

A true story

I took a few shots and opened the side gate. The dove hopped into the fence that runs along the small alley. As I went through the gate it started to walk along the fence, When I stopped it stopped. When I started to slowly walk it started to walk along the fence.
    We was heading for the back garden.
    As I opened the other gate into the back garden I noticed all the seeds had gone from the feeder tray.
    I emptied some from a feeder and put them on the tray. The dove had flown onto the back fence and was waiting. As I finished putting some on the tray its mate flew in and landed next to it.
    As I hung the feeder back up the one telling me there was no food flew straight onto the feeder with me still there.

I got a couple of macro shots of it right next to me.

A true story

A true story

After a few shots its mate realised all was ok and came to join the feast.

A true story

After a full belly the seemed to be very contented. I then seemed to get a look from them that said thank you

A true story

And we all lived happily ever after.

The end.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: A true story

............ and then I wrung their necks and had them for dinner with a nice bottle of Beaujolais.

Sorry - that was very nasty and uncalled for!

That's a lovely storyboard. I've never known doves to get up that close and personal. Can only suspect that they were really hungry and prepared to take the risk.

Real Name
    Terry

A beautiful tale with some beautiful photos to bring it home, Dave.

The detail in #3 is fantastic, and of course, who could possibly resist the "Thank You" shot?

Very nice.

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

How sweet!

Donald...........

Thanks for the comments all. This was my second day playing around with the new Canon 60mm macro

Real Name
    Joe

Looks like that might not be the last time to shoot them again. Very cool series. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the comment Joe.

Some good close shots there.

I get birds hanging around waiting for the feeders to be refilled; but before I finished erecting one table this happened.

A true story

Is this restaurant open yet?

That Blackbird Geoff is looking at you as if to say, 'May I start'

Real Name
    Sharon

Dave....incredible examples.

and thanks for your advice.

Thanks Daisy. I am having fun with the new macro

Real Name
    Paul

Hi Dave,

Macros are fun! That is a wonderful capture in number three; you really nailed the focus! Your 60 will open up a whole new photographic world to you. Let us see more of your close-ups and macros in the future.

- Paul -

Thank you Paul. My next investment will be a flash gun or macro led ring so I can start on some little critters.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Dave,

Great series of Dove shots and a nice story.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    My next investment will be a flash gun or macro led ring so I can start on some little critters.
    I got some of those 3" square LED panel lights for this kind of thing but find that for insects (e.g. moths) at least, having that much light so close tends to 'wake them up'.

Also, the amount of light, given the lamp to subject distance when mounted way back on bracket alongside tripod bush, is insufficient to get that much improvement in exposure and it doesn't have the 'freezing movement' benefit of flash. Still, they weren't very expensive and they make great torches.

A ring LED would possibly solve the distance problem, but not the other one.
    Have others found this with LED lights?

I'd (quite strongly) suggest going for a flash solution.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Dave,

Great series of Dove shots and a nice story.

I got some of those 3" square LED panel lights for this kind of thing but find that for insects (e.g. moths) at least, having that much light so close tends to 'wake them up'.

Also, the amount of light, given the lamp to subject distance when mounted way back on bracket alongside tripod bush, is insufficient to get that much improvement in exposure and it doesn't have the 'freezing movement' benefit of flash. Still, they weren't very expensive and they make great torches.

A ring LED would possibly solve the distance problem, but not the other one.
    Have others found this with LED lights?

I'd (quite strongly) suggest going for a flash solution.

Cheers,

What you recommend Dave 9or anyone else)?

Small or tall?

I did try an LED light but didn't find it very useful; and trying to hold/position it while shooting just wasn't practical. For 'in the field' use I think these require two person operation.

Now I just use a standard Speedlite flash, often with a little exposure compensation to suit the scene; and manual camera settings for aperture/shutter speed etc.

I did originally consider a macro ring light but thought it wouldn't be strong enough for the way I shoot insects. In fact my Speedlite is now glued together as a result of one of the many tripod fall over incidents.

Also, I was worried about having something which looked like two large eyes so close to the subject. Most insects are sufficiently nervous with just my basic set up.

Would you say Geoff a Canon SpeedLite 270 would be ok for a beginner into macro?

I use the 580 Speedlite, Dave so I'm not familiar with your suggested model.

However, from what I do know. That model is controlled direct from the camera but I assume the normal flash compensation control would still operate, in which case this model should work for macro. I think it does have ETTL metering.

I think it is a bit lower in height but that shouldn't matter too much unless you get really close. When using the camera pop up flash I sometimes have to remove the lens hood. But that isn't any real problem and I often shoot without a hood because a deep hood can scare insects.

It has a bit less power, I think, but that shouldn't matter at macro distances; and I normally use a little negative compensation with my flash.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    I use the 580 Speedlite, Dave so I'm not familiar with your suggested model.

However, from what I do know. That model is controlled direct from the camera but I assume the normal flash compensation control would still operate, in which case this model should work for macro. I think it does have ETTL metering.

I think it is a bit lower in height but that shouldn't matter too much unless you get really close. When using the camera pop up flash I sometimes have to remove the lens hood. But that isn't any real problem and I often shoot without a hood because a deep hood can scare insects.

It has a bit less power, I think, but that shouldn't matter at macro distances; and I normally use a little negative compensation with my flash.
    Thank you for the help Geoff. I didn't know if I would have to go for one of those tall ones for macro stuff. This help me a lot. Cheers