Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Glacier Calving

Real Name
    Chris C

Glacier Calving

A couple photo's of a glacier calving - breaking off. I've been experimenting with some processing in Photoshop, mainly playing with the options and the tools and seeing if I can get something I like out of it.

One question that I thought of last night - is there anything specifically I should stay away from if I do want to eventually print some of these into a real photo album?

Edit: I keep forgetting to send myself the originals for comparison and suggestions, but these are cropped in a little bit to focus on the action. The glacier extends both ways.

Glacier Calving

Glacier Calving

Re: Glacier Calving

One question that I thought of last night - is there anything specifically I should stay away from if I do want to eventually print some of these into a real photo album?

The only thing which has caught me out on occasions is having adjustments on layers which haven't been recognised when printing.

And specifically, I often print two images (a little less than A5 size) on an A4 sheet. I have set up some templates so I can add the smaller sized images using copy and paste.

But I have to combine any layers with the background image first. Otherwise I just get the original copy, or sometimes just an adjustment without the original.

And I still sometimes get caught out by this when my concentration gets disturbed.

Re: Glacier Calving

In general, you should save your large, Photoshop file with all layers. Lock it. Then open it up again and do your sizing and sharpening for which you will flatten your file. Save that as a jpg, TIFF or whatever you choose. You should always keep that Photoshop file with all layers in case you want to change something down the road.

As to printing for an old fashioned photo album. . . Have you ever considered making a photo book? These really look much, much better—professional. You can add text and lots of other elements. There are tons of sales on at this time of the year.

Check out this article which reviews a number of printers: http://www.digitalhomethoughts.com/n...w/97676/0/1/15

I have used Adorama and Blurb with excellent results.