Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Error 99 on 40D

Error 99 on 40D

Today, my Canon 40D has stopped shooting and I get the infamous Error 99 message; which can mean virtually anything.

Have done basic checks, so it isn't a fault with battery, or CF card. The mirror goes up OK and all lens functions work. Flash also fires. Was shooting under normal conditions.

Any other suggestions for checks?

And yes, it has taken quite a lot of shots. I probably 'go round the shot images clock' more than once a year.

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Error 99 on 40D

I have this before and I thinks it is the connection between lens and body, normally a quick clean and all is well

Yes, Paul, that is possible. I visually checked contacts when the trouble started but it is so easy for a bit of corrosion or grease to be there and not showing.

And another thing, I reset all the camera options to the default settings but without success.

Having tried everything which I can think of, without success, I have been forced to consider that the most likely answer is shutter mechanism failure - or worse.

So, after searching around, I eventually found a good price on a new 7D body (£900 inc 16Gb CF card) so I have placed an order.

It was a bit of a struggle to decide between an unused 50D and the 7D but there wasn't a lot of price difference and the 7D will have a full guarantee; although, hopefully, that shouldn't make any difference.

I may send off my 40D to a repairer for an assessment and then decide if it is worth spending any money on it to keep as a reserve unit.

Real Name
    Robin

£900!

Hope you paid on a secure and guaranteed card cos you might need to claim.

I checked out this site before purchase and it has plenty of positive feedback. Paid with credit card, and through the Google payment system so everything appears totally genuine.

There was a Hong Kong company offering slightly cheaper deals but their feedback wasn't as good; although most of the complaints were about slow delivery.

The company I used is based in Gibraltar so I assume there was a lower rate of VAT (European sales tax) payable there.

And I thought that if I have to return the camera, Gibraltar isn't as far to go as Hong Kong.

But they also have a UK establishment so I'm not sure where shipment starts.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Geoff,

You've probably tried this already, but ...

1. Remove lens - remove battery - remove backup battery (all at once) - leave overnight.

2. Try a different lens.

Also, you may be able to check the shutter operation by using a combination of mirror lockup (to see it closed) and manual sensor clean (to see it open).

Canon define Error 99 as "unspecified general failure", but most of the time it's to do with the fact that it can't communicate with the lens (even though there is a seperate error code for that) (they use a serial (RS232 type) protocol for that.

Is there a backup battery on the 40D Colin?

That is something which I had previously considered but didn't find. I know where it is on my old 10D.

Although I have removed the main battery, I haven't left it out for several hours. That is something which I will now try.

With regard to Manual Sensor Clean, and this may be significant, when I select 'clean manually', as I have done previously, the mirror flicks up and down but doesn't stay up.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Is there a backup battery on the 40D Colin?
    Yep - it's in the battery compartment

With regard to Manual Sensor Clean, and this may be significant, when I select 'clean manually', as I have done previously, the mirror flicks up and down but doesn't stay up.
    Sounds like good news to me -- I think you just got the green light to justify the 7D to SWMBO!

Just a quick update. My new 7D arrived today.

Everything fine although delivery took a bit longer than expected. Seven working days, or eleven actual days instead of the advertised 3 to 5 working days.

But I think this was probably due to the carrier not wanting to go out of his way to deliver just one item. He arrived today with an extra parcel for me (photo paper from another company) and had other deliveries in the town.

And, for once in my life, it looks as though I bought at the correct time as the same items have risen by £40 today. I suppose it is the approach of Christmas which always results in a temporary price jump.

Early next year, I will probably send my old 40D to a repairer to see if it is worth repairing for use as a spare; or just ditch it if the estimate is excessive.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Just a quick update. My new 7D arrived today.
    Congratulations, Geoff. Keep us updated on your assessment of it once you get it into use.

No instruction manual; is this normal now?

Gone to the Canon site and found an internet version but can't download it so I have had to print selected pages; full manual is 270 pages.

Currently trying to work out how to disable most of the auto settings to turn it into a 'sensible and usable' camera. ie something which I can understand.

Looks like I might be able to eventually reduce it to something similar to the 40D.

Real Name

Congrats on the early present from me too Steve!

Real Name

No instruction manual; is this normal now?

Gone to the Canon site and found an internet version but can't download it so I have had to print selected pages; full manual is 270 pages.

Currently trying to work out how to disable most of the auto settings to turn it into a 'sensible and usable' camera. ie something which I can understand.

Looks like I might be able to eventually reduce it to something similar to the 40D.
    Hi Geoff,

Just for you ...

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?k30h1ly5ttf215w

Thanks for that, Colin. It downloaded from that link so quickly I didn't believe I would have anything other than the first page. But everything is there. I can now study in detail at my leisure.

Incidentally, when I returned to the Canon UK site for another look at the manual, I couldn't find it and kept getting a page not available notice. So I had to go to the Canon USA site.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Incidentally, when I returned to the Canon UK site for another look at the manual, I couldn't find it and kept getting a page not available notice. So I had to go to the Canon USA site.
    I would agree with that sentiment. Canon really need to get someone in who can properly organise, arrange and manage information on its website(s). It can be a nightmare to navigate around, particularly when you have to keep searching and flipping between Canon UK and Canon USA sites to try and find where information is actually located.