Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Good to Find You

Real Name
    Robert Tracy

Good to Find You

Good morning ,

I'm an artist who knows little about the technical aspects of my camera, a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi. Know I've got to upgrade to the next level Canon. Just the body, but damn! They are expensive.

The most difficult use for my camera is photographing my artworks. Oils are especially hard given the reflections from the canvas. Worse if the painting is on panel--the whole painting is "shiny". Do use a polarizing filter but not usually with great results. I use a heavy Manfrotto tripod with a horizontal arm to shoot down where I place the painting. Tripod and camera must be leveled according to the painting on the floor. Works best on a sunny day with thin clouds to just cover the bright sun. Set it for time delay so no camera movement. Everything set for all in focus (background and foreground) and in RAW file only.

Example:

Good to Find You

See how using RAW captures even a little too much data? The subtle blending in the face looks "blotchy" The very dark half-inch color around the canvas shows some of the reflections I mention, and it also doesn't she that the darks in the curtain really do blend perfectly into that dark, especially at the tops. There were a heck of a lot more reflections that I took out in Photoshop. But can't do that in the main subject because things, whether they show right or not, must show the way it is, no touch-ups.

Advise I can understand would be most appreciated. I really am nearly camera-settings-ignorant. And afraid it's rather late to learn anything beyond basic math.

I've already found some value in the main site of Cambridge in Colour in terms of calibrating the screen to print. Solved easily with Spider 3 Express.

Thanks much,

Bob

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Good to Find You

Hi Bob,

That is a very lovely painting. I don't photograph paintings so I cannot give any personal advice. But I did do a Google search for "photographing artwork digitally." There are a number of articles describing techniques that should give you success. Here is a link to one; it may not be the best one but the author has some experience in dealing with reflections off artwork. Hope this helps.

http://www.photocrati.com/photograph...-drawings-etc/

-Paul -

Real Name
    Robert Tracy

Re: Good to Find You

Thank you very much, Paul. I'll go now to the link you found. Better than my searching for sure.

And thank you for the compliment on the painting.

Bob