Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Alaskan Red Squirrel

Real Name
    Chris C

Alaskan Red Squirrel

Another one of the better shots from my recent Alaskan adventure. This is the first time that I've actually gotten something really incredible from the repeat shooting option on the camera, other than multiple pictures that look identical. I had no idea until I looked at it later on a computer that this frame caught him in midair.

I have attempted to do some touching-up of this photo - I will try and post the original for comparison and suggestions when I return home. Because the squirrel is so small, I'm not sure how to really draw him out in the picture, but still keep the sense of him being in midair - if I cropped too close, I tended to lose that flying feel, IMO at least.

Alaskan Red Squirrel

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Alaskan Red Squirrel

Chris - I think you've got to try and crop it as much as you can. The squirrel is lost amongst everything else that's in the frame and it needs to be made the absolute centre of attention.
    Last edited by Donald; 22nd November 2011 at 07:27 PM.

Real Name
    Reynold Mainse

I would agree with Don... I think cropping so that the Squirrel is on the bottom left - leaping into the scene would work well. You could also reduce the green brightness and increase the squirrel's colour. You even try tilting slightly the image so that the animal is leaping in a more upward position. Keep shooting good job!!! Also you might use a graduated ND software filter on the bottom left moving towards the tail of the squirrel to darken the bright area.

Alaskan Red Squirrel
    Last edited by Reynold Mainse; 23rd November 2011 at 08:38 PM.

Real Name
    Mark

even if you crop it to its ultimate..... id go and re shoot, your exposure is good and im sure that all other parts of the tach side is good, but the perspective/composition doesn't work sorry,