Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sunset over Birch Bay

Sunset over Birch Bay

[COLOR=Silver]This is the first time I post my picture at a forum like this... ^^" ... I'm not native English speaker, so I'm not quite confident when showing my work especially at an English forum like this one. However, today after reading and seeing many beautiful pictures of this website, I decided to post my pictures here because I know that this forum will be a good place for me to learn about photography. Reading other comments in here give me the feeling of welcome here.

I discovered my love for photography not so long ago. I think I started taking pictures last September. The more pictures I take the more enraptured I am.

I hope that by posting my pictures here I can receive feedbacks from all of you. I know that my knowledge about digital photography still kind of limited, but I'm learning everyday to improve it. Hopefully, I can make friend with all people who love photography like me.

Sunset over Birch Bay

[COLOR=Pink]The picture of my parents were sitting and watching sunset ... ^_^ ...

Sunset over Birch Bay

Sunset over Birch Bay

[COLOR=Silver]I love this view the most ... ^_^ ... However, there was so many people passing by ... Y_Y ... I couldn't take a picture of this beautiful view without people in it.

[COLOR=Silver]Canon PowerShot S3 IS, Shutter Speed 1/60 sec, Aperture Value: f/2.7

Administrator
    Real Name
    Sean

Re: Sunset over Birch Bay

Thanks for the posts. I like how the sunset colors are nice and vibrant without being overdone. My favorites are probably the third, followed by the second. I think the people silhouettes in the third one actually help out the composition a lot. In the second photo there are some silhouettes as well, but I feel that the composition would be stronger if they were either more pronounced or not there at all. Right now they are sorta in between. The first one is nice as well, but I like the colors in the other two better (since they are a little later in the evening I presume), and I feel the first photo's composition is not as well defined as the other two. Just my thoughts.

welcome aboard ms kawai love your pics....the second and third have lovely colors and are shot at the right time of the day. the first pic is underexposed and sun is a little too harsh for my eyes i noticed you leave more space than necessary in the foreground maybe to squeeze in your signature!!! you say you want to make friends here then i am your friend henceforth

I love the colors and the composition......they remind me of my childhood along the Columbia river......I look forward to more....

Real Name
    Adrian

Welcome. I agree with McQ about composition here. My favorite is the third one too, excellent colour rendition and interesting composition. And please do not be embarrassed about your English. People here are tolerant of non native speakers.

I happen to love silhouetted people in sunset photographs, it adds a level of intimacy that makes the sunset that much more special. While Im no expert, I think the second photo could be trimmed down: remove some of the foreground, right up to the grass and reeds and maybe a little off of the top without losing the color in the clouds. This would produce a long, almost panoramic type view. All in all, I love the colors!

OMG ... I'm so happy when reading your comments .. ^_^ ..

... ^_^ ... ^_^ ... ^_^ ... ^_^ ... ^_^ ... ^_^ ... ^_^ ... ^_^ ... ^_^ ... ^_^ ...

... ^_^ ... Mr.McQ ... ^_^ ...
    ... ^_^ ... Thank you so much for your comment .. ^_^ .. It really helps me a lot .. ^_^ .. From now on whenever I'm taking pictures I will pay more attention to the composition .. ^_^ .. What you said is right .. The first one doesn't have a good composition .. Actually, I took a few of that view but with difference composition ... ^_^ ... I think I should post them here so that you can so me which one is the best ... ^^" ... I don't really know which is the best since I just learn about photography ... ^_^ ... Please teach me more in the future .. ^_^ .. I really want to learn .. ^_^ ..

... ^_^ ... ^_^ ... ^_^ ... ^_^ ... ^_^ ... ^_^ ... ^_^ ... ^_^ ... ^_^ ... ^_^ ...

... ^_^ ... Mr.Taken: ... ^_^ ...

... ^_^ ... Wow you noticed it .. ^_^ .. Yes, I did leave more space than necessary because I think the make the picture balance ... :P ... I'm a kind of perfectionist person ... so .. I just did what I thought will make a picture look good and proportion ... ^_^ ... And one more thing .. I always use my picture as a theme of my blog .. ^_^ .. so I like it a little more black on the ground in case of I will use these picture as my theme in the future .. ^_^ ..

I'm so happy to have a friend like you ... ^_^ ...

... ^_^ ... Mr. Willgoss ... ^_^ ...

I love the colors too ... but at that time ... It was raining not a lot but still raining so my parents and I decided to head back to our tent ... the moment I was leaving was the moment I took the third picture ... ^^" ... I didn't know what It could turn out so beautiful ... If I knew it, I would take hundreds pictures of it ... ^_^ ... Anyway ... I will come back to that place in the future and take more picture ... ^_^ ... Thank you for your comment ... ^_^ ...

... ^_^ ... Mr. Adrian ... ^_^ ...

... ^_^ ... Glad to hear that people here are tolerant of non native speakers ... since I know that I always make mistake with my writing ... ^^" ... But I have never wanted to hurt other feeling by words .. ^_^ .. Thank you for your comment ... I will try to learn from this mistake so that in the future I'm not going to make the same mistake again ... ^_^ ...

... ^_^ ... Mr. rparkerjr ... ^_^ ...

... ^_^ ... I love your comment ... You showed me how to make my picture look better by editting it .. ^_^ .. I will try to do it with photoshop ... and then will show you later ... ^_^ ... You maybe a little bit suprise but beside learning new thing about how to have a good picture for your comment I also learn some new words ... :P ... For example, the word "silhoette", "panoramic" and "all in all" ... ^_^ ... Thank you for your comment ... ^_^ ...

Real Name
    Ian

Welcome to the forum.

I like the sunset colours very much. I think I would have made the silhouette of your parents more the subject of the first picture and fill the frame a little more with their outline, excluding the other figures in the background as these seem incidental.

The second shot has a head ? low in the grass which might have been better excluding, or making more prominent; I suppose I am echoing McQ here.

The third one for me needs cropping more, but the people are fundamental to this shot, so it just needs defining a little more?

Oh, and keep posting I enjoyed your shots and I hope that everyones comments are useful.