Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mediterranean meeting

Real Name
    Mark

Mediterranean meeting

Hi all

captured this in St Tropez i like it and want to use it in my portfolio, do you think its worthy? Obviously i want to make the best of it so feel free to re edit if you want ive posted sooc as well as my poor attempt in LR

SOOC
    Mediterranean meeting

My edit
    Mediterranean meeting

Real Name
    Andrew

Re: Mediterranean meeting

Nice capture! To be honest, I kinda like SOOC better! If it was cropped a little tighter on the upright edges - maybe 8x10 perhaps? I just think the colours give it a very Mediterranean feel, where the B+W is a little bit more urban-esque? Now I'm just rambling, and making up words....

Real Name
    Andrew

I don't know - does this work? This was very, very quick. I've never never manipulated another photographer's photos, but I really like what you've got here.
    Mediterranean meeting

I think you have to lose the grille, Mark, as your B&W crop did; but there is so much good colour possibilities there that I would keep the colour version and actually increase the brightness slightly to make it more Mediterranean looking.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Mark, have you considered losing the guy on the left that's getting his Driver ID photo taken? Just for chuckles 'n grins, try croping to get the three on the right and loosing the grille and the guy on the left.

Hi Mark:

I agree with Frank about cropping out the man on the left. Three is a better number anyway.

Here’s how I would handle this terrific, classic men giving each other advice, capture:
    Mediterranean meeting

I would entitle it: “She’s left me!” or
    “Now you listen to me!”

Real Name
    Brian

For what it's worth, I prefer Andrew's version. I think the guy watching the photog is an interesting element.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

How about a crop of the left three?
    Three is often a better number compositionally:

Yes, the guy looking at camera grabs the attention,
    but then you look to see who the guy in the middle is looking at
    and then you see the guy in despair (or hiding?)

oh, and lose the grille, of course.

Colour is better, somewhere between Andrew's and Viana's

Cheers,

Real Name
    Mark

Hi all, so much advice, thanks! i agree the grill has to go but although i have PS ive yet to climb the mountain that is the learning curve! ive posted the 3 edits and we can have our own mini comp and the best thing is my image will win !

I like the crop size on this one it works best long and narrow.
    Mediterranean meeting

Not sure i like this one theres no focal point to the image and it loses the men giving advice idea
    Mediterranean meeting

This one works good balance and focal point with both outer men apparently giving advice to the central man in distress.
    Mediterranean meeting

so what do you think?

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Mark, when I look at the second image, there seems to be two 'events' occurring. The guy on the left is interacting with the photographer and the other two are interacting with each other. It feels like there are two subjects as a result. The same applies to the original image. Also in the 3rd image, the guy on the right is talking and the other two are listening. That give and take element is missing in the 2nd image. I'd vote for the third as I feel it tells a single story.

Real Name
    Brian

Frank makes a good point that choosing one as better than the others you kind of have to pick what story you want to tell. So is the story only the two men giving advice and the third guy listening, or is the story that moment in time on that bench, where all 4 men contribute.
    As far as the number of elements in a photo, I don't think you have to have three people to have three elements. The guy on the left is one, the guy covering his face is one, and the TWO guys looking at him can be ONE. Both men looking at the other is a stronger element than just one looking at him (in this case, in my opinion).

Quote Originally Posted by Mark von Kanel View Post
    Hi all, so much advice, thanks! i agree the grill has to go but although i have PS ive yet to climb the mountain that is the learning curve! ive posted the 3 edits and we can have our own mini comp and the best thing is my image will win !

I like the crop size on this one it works best long and narrow.
    Mediterranean meeting

Not sure i like this one theres no focal point to the image and it loses the men giving advice idea
    Mediterranean meeting

This one works good balance and focal point with both outer men apparently giving advice to the central man in distress.
    Mediterranean meeting

so what do you think?

Number 3 because it tells the best story. I would try to grunge these old characters up even more than I did and see if colour or B&W works best.

Real Name
    Mark

Thanks All, #3 it is with some more PP will have a go at "grunging up" Viana just got shiny new cs5.5 to learn and a how to book but still got loads to learn in LR as well which program do i use to do the grunge Viana?

Real Name
    Mark

The spending on essentials is never ending, fortunately i managed to get the educational discount so that helps. Hows the tripod purchase going?

Thanks All, #3 it is with some more PP will have a go at "grunging up" Viana just got shiny new cs5.5 to learn and a how to book but still got loads to learn in LR as well which program do i use to do the grunge Viana?

Topaz Adjust 5!

Check out out for a month, free and fully functional, Mark: http://www.topazlabs.com/adjust/

I am just about to drop a bundle on my very own, “shiny,” new CS 5 plus LR 3 and few other essentials for my photo/design obsession.

The spending on essentials is never ending, fortunately i managed to get the educational discount so that helps. Hows the tripod purchase going?

Oh, well—so glad that you asked. . . lol

I have had no time to research the project because of work, the holidays, some personal notable days and the fact that my husband wants a new stereo. First things first. But, I really appreciate all of the advice. I only want to do this once and promise to get to it ASAP.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Hi Mark

I'm a bit late coming in on this but the image has a lot of potential IMO and I couldn't resist adding my two bob's worth.

I actually like the crop in post 3 and the colours in post 9, if that makes sense. I think that the closer crops lose a bit of context and tend to look like men "lined up against a wall".

Anyway, it's definitely one for your portfolio, whichever way you go with it.

Cheers Dave

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Definitely the RH three.
    Great discussion BTW, helped me realise why I liked the RH3.

For a title, how about Bracketed By Onion Breath!

Graham
    (warped)

Real Name
    Mark

I actually like the crop in post 3 and the colours in post 9, if that makes sense. I think that the closer crops lose a bit of context and tend to look like men "lined up against a wall".
    David what about the grill? does it not wind you up?

For a title, how about Bracketed By Onion Breath!
    Like it

Real Name
    Andrew

Just take the grill out! I still like this crop best - sorry, but I'm stubborn!!
    Mediterranean meeting

Real Name
    Audrey Olsen

I prefer Mark's simple B&W crop as is. Tells a simple story of men having a good conversation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast