Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Cyprus Sunset

Cyprus Sunset

Hello all, I haven't posted anything in quite a while - either my own photos for c&c or comments on others. Must try harder on both counts as I visit the site daily and like to see what is going on!

Anyway, to kick things off here is the evening view from my parents' place in Cyprus that was taken on a recent holiday. Any critical comments more than welcome - I think that the silhouette works quite well but not sure about the crop - played around with a few but couldn't make up my mind!

Cyprus Sunset
    20110918-IMG_2254.jpg by Charlie 155, on Flickr

Thanks for viewing,

Charlie.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Cyprus Sunset

Now, there's a sky!

Charlie - Good to see you posting again.

Is the land completely gone to black on the original file or is there any detail in it at all? Just wondered what it would be like if we were to see a little detail on the land.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Charlie,

Welcome back!

Looks good to me. I must admit that I'm a pushover for a good silhouette - they're so profoundly simple and yet often strikingly beautiful.

Real Name
    Toņo

Hello Charlie. It is good that you are posting again

I'd like to see some vague details on the land. It would make it look "more real" IMO.

Toņo

Real Name
    Graham Heron

I like a good silhouette and a partial silhouette can also work (i.e. some detail).
    It seems that most people I know (camera club) prefer a silhouette rather than the partial.

I don't know why!

Graham
    (goes his own way)

There wasn't a lot of detail in the original, and the silhouette really brought out the colour of the sky. The edit below is a quick one far closer to the sooc - what do you think?! I still prefer the silhouette but that maybe because it is an easier result to achieve in post!

Cyprus Sunset
    20110918-IMG_2254.jpg by Charlie 155, on Flickr

Thanks,

Charlie.

There isn't enough detail in the original to work well, Charlie, but I would consider cropping the black area a little tighter.

And crop the right edge to produce a 2 x 1 ratio. I don't think there is sufficient interest in the sky/land to go wider. I'm not sure about the left side though. I am thinking about cropping the area of skyline which starts to go downhill, on the left side, but can't make up my mind about it.