Thread: Breaking all the Rules

Breaking all the Rules

First you learn the rules, then you can break them.

We were returning to harbor from a very successful whale watch in Provincetown, Cape Cod, MA.

I shot straight into the September sun and got lots of bokeh, stars and lens flares, just as I had hoped.

Does it work for you?
    Last edited by Viana; 28th November 2011 at 06:44 PM.

Real Name
    Mike

Re: Breaking all the Rules

Is it me or does it look like the lens has dry water spots on it? Looks more like that than lens flare?

Quote Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
    Is it me or does it look like the lens has dry water spots on it? Looks more like that than lens flare?
    Could be, although I did clean the lens after the whale watch water adventures. I think that it's lens-flare bokeh because of the pattern.

Whatever it is, I like it in this photo—does anyone else?

Real Name
    Mark

doesnt work for me Viana, maybe the crop is wrong? how about getting rid of most of the foreground?

mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark von Kanel View Post
    doesnt work for me Viana, maybe the crop is wrong? how about getting rid of most of the foreground?

mark
    Waaaah! I LOVE this photo. It looks fabulous to me in large format. Can't crop all that lovely, golden bokeh on the water.

Oh, well different strokes.

Real Name
    Kathy

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL . . . I would love to be able to capture a picture like that!!

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

Yes!
    It's beautiful!

Thanks so much, Kathy & Kristianna!

This photo is one of those rare occasions when the camera could actually see more or at least better than the human eye. I love to try these sorts of shots just to see how dramatic things turn out.

Real Name
    Mark

Well its always in the eye of the beholder. I agree with Mark. IMO the crop could be improved. Horizon at centre of image can work sometimes but I think there is too much underexposed water in the foreground that adds nothing to the image. Personally I'm not a fan of lens flare and I do my best to avoid it. I think this image would work well in a panorama format. Less foreground and stretched horizontally a bit.
    Also looks like a pretty wide angle lens to me. Not much foreground subject matter to draw me into the image. I would have waited for the sun to go a little lower. It looks like the highlights are blown out.

Only my opinion FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by Markvetnz View Post
    Well its always in the eye of the beholder. I agree with Mark. IMO the crop could be improved. Horizon at centre of image can work sometimes but I think there is too much underexposed water in the foreground that adds nothing to the image.
    There is no crop on purpose because my objective was to get the bokeh on the water. I took several as the boat was moving and this one was, for me, the most representative of what I was aiming at, a sparkling sea and the blinding solar star. Trust me, in large format it really looks great.
    Personally I'm not a fan of lens flare and I do my best to avoid it. I think this image would work well in a panorama format. Less foreground and stretched horizontally a bit. Also looks like a pretty wide angle lens to me. Not much foreground subject matter to draw me into the image. I would have waited for the sun to go a little lower. It looks like the highlights are blown out. Only my opinion FWIW.
    The foreground is the bokeh. Unfortunately, I could not have waited for the sun to do anything at all since we were moving swiftly on the water back to port. I believe the dark water in the foreground is from the boat. Well, OK, you guys have convinced me to try a couple of alternative PSP on this image—as soon as I get a moment. We shall see whether or not I or anyone finds them superior.

Real Name
    Rex

I like the shot. Looks like you had a very calm day on the water. I have never tried it myself, but if you had bracketed exposures, it might do well as an HDR photo.

Quote Originally Posted by rgreen View Post
    I like the shot. Looks like you had a very calm day on the water. I have never tried it myself, but if you had bracketed exposures, it might do well as an HDR photo.

Glad that you like the shot, Rex.

Bracketing was not possible because we were moving quite rapidly. No, it was not particularly calm that day, but of course, once one is headed for a protected harbor the waves subside a bit.

I have had absolutely no time today to work on this little project. Perhaps a bit later or tomorrow.

OK, guys, I have toned down the bokeh and lightened the water. Cropped to rule of thirds. Tell me which you prefer. I like them both, actually.
    Last edited by Viana; 28th November 2011 at 06:43 PM.

Can someone please give me some feedback after my edits?

Real Name
    Nigel Holmes

Great picture, and you nearly nailed it for me with the second crop but, I would crop some more from the right and the bottom to remove the reflection of the sun on the water as I find it distracting. Still a great pic though.

Quote Originally Posted by Squidgy View Post
    Great picture, and you nearly nailed it for me with the second crop but, I would crop some more from the right and the bottom to remove the reflection of the sun on the water as I find it distracting. Still a great pic though.

Thanks, Nigel.

The issue for me is that the sun’s reflection, the bokeh is what I wanted to get. That was the whole purpose of this shot. So, I really can’t crop it out.

It looks superb and sparkly in large format, about 8x10 is what I am thinking.