Thread: Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 AF

Real Name
    Trace

Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 AF

Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this lens on a DX body. In particular I'm interested in knowing how the "consumer" bodies that have the screw drive (particularly D90) go with driving the auto-focus... is the AF still responsive enough on a DX body to capture and track the movement in sports?

Thanks in Advance
    Cheers
    Trace

Real Name
    Larry Saideman

Re: Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 AF

I cannot speak from my own experience, but I used to shoot figure skating alongside another parent who used the 80-200 with her D80. She had no problem getting many nice photos. In fact, I sometimes think about getting such a lens for my D90. My main reservation is cost. I think it would be a great match. There is one more thing. There are several version of this lens and the older push/pull version is supposed to have a slower af. Some say to avoid it for action. So, in my initial statement, I am referring to the newer models.

Real Name
    Trace

Quote Originally Posted by Brev00 View Post
    I cannot speak from my own experience, but I used to shoot figure skating alongside another parent who used the 80-200 with her D80. She had no problem getting many nice photos. In fact, I sometimes think about getting such a lens for my D90. My main reservation is cost. I think it would be a great match. There is one more thing. There are several version of this lens and the older push/pull version is supposed to have a slower af. Some say to avoid it for action. So, in my initial statement, I am referring to the newer models.
    Thanks Larry, and yes I'm looking at a new one as I've realised the used ones of this particular model are holding their resale very well... I almost got caught initially while looking at 2nd hand ones with the model prior to this one which had the same "letters" but was push and pull.

Real Name
    Mark

If you really want to do some searching which I did you will not be let down with the AF-S 80-200 EDIF 2.8
    I will not part with it.I use it on the D100/D2X/D3 and it is comparable in clarity with the new 70-200 .I shoot a lot of very fast Equestrian jumping and it takes Stunning images and you don't need the VR.
    Check this link out!
    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...0mm/index4.htm
    I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Mark Lawrence; 20th November 2011 at 06:52 PM.

Real Name
    Trace

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Lawrence View Post
    I will not part with it.I use it on the D100/D2X/D3 and it is comparable in clarity with the new 70-200 .I shoot a lot of very fast Equestrian jumping and it takes Stunning images and you don't need the VR.....

I hope this helps.
    Thanks Mark, indeed it does. I'm looking to use it for a similar purpose to showjumping... dog agility, so your answer gives some more insight. Thank you.
    Only problem I forsee with the AF-S version is finding one in good condition to buy.
    Last edited by PhotoByTrace; 21st November 2011 at 08:31 AM.

Real Name
    Gary S

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoByTrace View Post
    Thanks Mark, indeed it does. I'm looking to use it for a similar purpose to showjumping... dog agility, so your answer gives some more insight. Thank you.
    Only problem I forsee with the AF-S version is finding one in good condition to buy.
    I think as Mark stated, you'd be better suited with the AF-S version of the 80-200 F2.8. While I have the AF-D version, I drive it from a D700, D200 and F100. Even with the advanced focusing systems in these higher end bodies and the higher torque in-body focus motors, I still get one or 2 soft frames when I'm tracking fast action sports in continuous focusing mode from it. But for single servo focus, this combination just snaps instantly into focus.

But for the less robust cameras, I'm not sure the AF-D version would fair quite as well in the focusing ability department. I have a friend with a D90 that I should test it out on, just to gain more of a sense of the difference one might expect.

As you said, your biggest difficultly will be finding a used one...and not just one in good shape. Those lenses can take quite a bashing but still be absolutely fine inside. I wouldn't let a few wear and tear marks dissuade you from an otherwise stellar bit of glass. The thing is, they were only made for a couple of years, at the most...so there just aren't that many copies out there.

Best of luck.
    ~Gary

Real Name
    Martyn

why not just get a 70-200mm ?

Real Name
    Trace

Quote Originally Posted by FullFrameFotog View Post
    I think as Mark stated, you'd be better suited with the AF-S version of the 80-200 F2.8. While I have the AF-D version, I drive it from a D700, D200 and F100. Even with the advanced focusing systems in these higher end bodies and the higher torque in-body focus motors, I still get one or 2 soft frames when I'm tracking fast action sports in continuous focusing mode from it. But for single servo focus, this combination just snaps instantly into focus.

But for the less robust cameras, I'm not sure the AF-D version would fair quite as well in the focusing ability department. I have a friend with a D90 that I should test it out on, just to gain more of a sense of the difference one might expect.

As you said, your biggest difficultly will be finding a used one...and not just one in good shape. Those lenses can take quite a bashing but still be absolutely fine inside. I wouldn't let a few wear and tear marks dissuade you from an otherwise stellar bit of glass. The thing is, they were only made for a couple of years, at the most...so there just aren't that many copies out there.

Best of luck.
    ~Gary
    Thanks for your input Gary, I have found just one AF-S for sale in Australia presently. It is about $600 more than the AF 80-200 new. But the issues you raised are indeed the concerns that I have in my mind with pairing a new AF with the D90.
    Martyn, The only reason why I am not considering the 70-200 f/2.8 is the price.

You can pick up a nice 80-200mm AF-S lens for about $1,250 here in the US. That's what I'd do if the 70-200mm weren't an option.

http://www.keh.com/Camera/format-35m...c=55956&r=WG&f