Thread: Second camera body for wildlife photography

Real Name
    Alan

Second camera body for wildlife photography

Hello,

I have a Canon 5D MK 2 with several lenses I use for wildlife photography. I bring along an old DSLR for back-up, but am now ready to be properly prepared with another Canon body to share lenses. The 5D MK 2 has been great but I looking for a body to complement this one for some time to come. Going to the Arctic soon. Recommendations?

Alan (Tommygazelle)

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Second camera body for wildlife photography

Hi Alan,

I'm not a Canon shooter, but suggest an APS-C, rather than full frame body (as I believe your 5D MK 2 is).

This would give more versatility of field of view from the focal lengths you have - make your lenses longer, which could be handy for distant wildlife

I believe the 7D would be the most obvious choice, but if not, perhaps a 60D.

Cheers,

Real Name
    John T

I have kept my old 5D as a backup but I have not yet needed it as such. My primary body is a 5D MK2 which I have complimented with a 7D. The 7D has the 1.6 crop factor gaining reach for wildlife and has a better AF system than the 5D MK2, plus the 7D has the built in flash for when I don't care to carry an external flash.

I favor the 5D MK2 for people and landscape, the 7D for wildlife and walkabout. While being aware of the strengths and weakness of each, I don't know what other combo of bodies currently around would cover me better. A 1D series might be fun, have shot some with them, but they seem like an overkill for for my purposes. For the Artic, however, a 1D series might be better for the weather conditions.

Real Name
    Alex

Getting a crop camera will transform your lenses into a new range of focal lengths. It also will use the best part of your lenses so they should be sharp to the corners, a nice feature for a full frame user.

The current crop bodies are 7d > 60d > 600d.

For moving wildlife the 7d has the best autofocus and micro adjust for setting up your lenses. The 60d and 600d have the same sensor but a few less features. With the 60d you still get programable custom modes so you can set up some for shooting wildlife. The 600d is a less robust body but it is smaller which can be nice if you are carrying lots of gear.

You may be able to get a good second hand model too in the XXd range. These do not have video or live view (depending on model) but you won't miss that.

What may sell the camera is how it feels in your hand. Go to a shop and see how the ergonomics are laid out for each. You will know what you set most often on the 5d. Make sure the important stuff is where you like it. You need to be able to comfortably switch bodies and know how to configure each one to your tastes. The 7d has customisable buttons. Not sure about the others.

Alex

Real Name
    Richard

I would suggest that the 7D might suit your needs best. The focusing is great and it has three user selected modes; allowing you to select various camera parameters, register them to mode 1-3 and then select the parameters as a group by a single twist of the mode dial.

I will set my various user selected modes up before hand because I usually have a pretty good idea of the various parameters at which I want to shoot. Then I can select them quickly and accurately by turning one dial.

Real Name
    Butch Robertson

I agree with the suggestions that you go for the 7D. Its got many features that make it preferrable for wildlife photography, such as AF, a shots per second. I would even say it would become your first choice and not a back-up. My 2c

Real Name
    Russell

Hi, Think it will also depend on your finance and as you did not state a budget it is difficult to say what would be best for you, I use a 1Ds MkII but have just bought a 600D for a backup and due to the weight of the 1Ds I think the 600D will also be for walk around. No expert but have to agree that a visit to a local shop or even local camera club to try each option you consider.
    Russ

Real Name
    Alan

Thank you all for your well thought out advice. This is my first post and I am impressed by the knowledge base of this membership. There doesn't seem to be "product loyalty" responses but rather a effort to sincerely help the other members with personal experience and thoughtfulness. I'm very happy to have become a member and hope I can do my share!

Tommygazelle

Real Name
    Alan

Hello Bushmoz,

Your thread got cut off and I'm very interested in reading your experience and recommendations.
    Thanks for the post.

Tommygazelle