Thread: Question Regarding Adobe Software Upgrades

Real Name
    Wendy

Question Regarding Adobe Software Upgrades

Hello everyone, it looks like I am going to have to break down and upgrade my 2.6 version of Lightroom in order to have RAW file support for my new camera.

From what I understand I will need LR version 3.3. The problem is that I can only find an upgrade for version 3. So my question is this.
    Do I have to wait until I can find version 3.3 for sale somewhere, OR can I purchase the version 3 upgrade and there might be an automatic upgrade to 3.3

How does this work? I'm thinking there must be some logic to the way these versions are named and a reason that they jump from 2.6 to 3 instead of 2.7; 2.8... , and i imagine it has something to do as to when the upgrades are substantial enough that you have to pay for them.

I don't want to upgrade to version 3 and then have to pay again to upgrade to version 3.3. I'm a little bit annoyed that I have to upgrade at all, and even more annoyed that the version I need does not seem to be available.

Could someone please help me out with this.

Thanks
    Wendy

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Question Regarding Adobe Software Upgrades

Hi Wendy,

If you convert your RAW files to Adobe's DNG RAW format, you should be able to open them in any version of LR,

Converter is free:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...&promoid=HTENB

I started with LR1. There were updates, and they were free.

To get to LR2, I paid an upgrade fee - but again all the 2.X updates were free.

To get to LR3, I paid an upgrade fee - and again all updates up to and including the current 3.5 version were free.

Hope this helps.

I expect that when and if LR4 comes out, I'll have to pay to upgrade.

Glenn

PS - when you upgrade, the latest version can be downloaded from the Adobe site.

Real Name
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Wendy,

If you convert your RAW files to Adobe's DNG RAW format, you should be able to open them in any version of LR,

Converter is free:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...&promoid=HTENB
    Thanks Colin, that is the route I was planning on taking, but from what I've read it sounds like this converter is a stand alone program which is fine, it just means I would have to take an extra step when importing images from the camera. I had resigned myself to doing that, but then when I tried to install the converter file that I downloaded, I had a bad download, got peeved and decided I might as well upgrade.

I just downloaded the converter again and will try one more time. If it works I can probably live with it, but it is nice to have it integrated into Lightroom and just have to select "Convert to DNG and Import" This situation forced me into doing a bit of reading on the latest greatest versions of Lightroom, and some of the upgrades (perspective controls especially) sound quite useful. (I don't have much luck with the ones in Elements.) I'm sure they probably work, but I've found LR is very user friendly so I might have better luck with the LR controls.

I'm going to go and try to install the new download and see how that goes.

Thanks again
    Wendy

Real Name
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn NK View Post
    I started with LR1. There were updates, and they were free.

To get to LR2, I paid an upgrade fee - but again all the 2.X updates were free.

To get to LR3, I paid an upgrade fee - and again all updates up to and including the current 3.5 version were free.

Hope this helps.

I expect that when and if LR4 comes out, I'll have to pay to upgrade.

Glenn

PS - when you upgrade, the latest version can be downloaded from the Adobe site.
    Thanks Glenn, I kind of figured that was how it worked when it came to pricing, but wanted to make sure before I got dinged with 2 upgrade fees.

Do the small upgrades get done automatically? The ones from 3 to 3.3 for instance or does one have to go online and check. I tried clicking the "Check For Upgrade" button in the Lightroom Help menu and I get an error message.

Also, I am curious what you think of the upgrades. I am happy with what I have, but since you have been with Lightroom since the beginning, I'm wondering if you think the upgrades are beneficial. Do you use the new Perspective Controls and if so, do they do a good job.

Thanks again for your help, and if you have the time, I'd really appreciate hearing more about the upgrades.

Wendy

You are confusing “up-Date” with up-Grade,” Wendy.

Updates are all the decimal, incremental version numbers: 1.1, 1.3, 1.5, etc.

UpGrade is a whole new version one number up: 2, 3, 4, etc.

When you upGrade one program it is likely that you will have to upGrade a whole host of other software including your OS for compatibility, even though the programs are supposed to be downwardly compatible.

For example, if you have the latest version of Photoshop it may not be compatible with the older Lightroom.

Upgrades or special programs often do automatically what the experienced, skilled user has done all along manually.

I generally wait quite a while (3-5 years) and then upGrade the lot: Lightroom, Photoshop and the Adobe Creative Suite.

Some plugins make their software compatible with the newest upGrades from the big boys, like Adobe, others do not.

Keeping capitalism alive.

If you are eligible to purchase via academic pricing, that is the way to go: http://www.academicsuperstore.com/?u...search&sissr=1

Real Name
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by Viana View Post
    You are confusing “up-Date” with up-Grade,” Wendy.

Updates are all the decimal, incremental version numbers: 1.1, 1.3, 1.5, etc.

UpGrade is a whole new version one number up: 2, 3, 4, etc.
    Ahhh, Thank you, that little tidbit clears things up quite nicely. I figured there was some logic to it. LOL to think I used to be computer literate.

When you upGrade one program it is likely that you will have to upGrade a whole host of other software including your OS for compatibility, even though the programs are supposed to be downwardly compatible.

For example, if you have the latest version of Photoshop it may not be compatible with the older Lightroom.

Upgrades or special programs often do automatically what the experienced, skilled user has done all along manually.
    Yup, back in the good old days when I had to do things myself, I knew what was going on. Now I don't have a bloody clue. Sometimes I miss the good old days. The computing power is nice, but the loss of control doesn't go over to well.

I generally wait quite a while (3-5 years) and then upGrade the lot: Lightroom, Photoshop and the Adobe Creative Suite.

Some plugins make their software compatible with the newest upGrades from the big boys, like Adobe, others do not.

Keeping capitalism alive.
    LOL, exactly, the humour in it just made my day though. What's the point of getting angry. I don't upgrade until I'm forced into it, and then like you say it's like a run away freight train. the new one doesn't work with the other one and so on and so on and so on. Annoying is an understatement, but it does keep the economy going for those that can afford to keep up with it.

Thanks for the tips and the humour

Wendy

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

The upgrade between version 2 to version 3 is huge. If you can afford the upgrade I think it would be one of your best investment considering that you are that serious in your photography. As there are new cameras coming out in the market, Adobe is always updating LR's compatibility with these new cameras hence the changes on the version numbers (not to mention the patches made on some software bugs). If you both use LR and Photoshop, one of the issue if you do an automatic export from LR to PS is that you have to update your ACR with the same version on both software to do a seamless integration. Otherwise, it will nag you every time you export that your LR ACR is not compatible with the PS ACR. Good luck on the upgrade, Wendy.

Real Name
    Wendy

Thanks Jiro, I probably will upgrade eventually, but for now I got the DNG converter working so I can use that. It's a pain in the a** so many extra steps but it seems to work.

From Jiro:
    If you both use LR and Photoshop, one of the issue if you do an automatic export from LR to PS is that you have to update your ACR with the same version on both software to do a seamless integration. Otherwise, it will nag you every time you export that your LR ACR is not compatible with the PS ACR.
    Jiro, when I am finished in Lighroom I click on the Photo menu and then "Edit In" and select "Elements" this takes the photo into the Elements Editor. I don't use ACR in Elements at all. Will I still have problems?

Wendy