Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Beautiful Rocky Mountains

Real Name
    Kathy

Beautiful Rocky Mountains

I am posting these two pictures, the first one is the original with out any photo editing done, the second one I edited with the auto tint fix. Can you let me know what you think about the edited picture, did the auto tint fix actually make it look better, to me it is such a drastic change but I think I like it -- it gives it more life. Also let me know what you think of the overall picture. Thanks.

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: Beautiful Rocky Mountains

I would be happy with either.

I like the capture, but to me the SOOC lacked depth while the PPS pix looked strange. The greens and yellows do not work for me.

Another issue is the sky with its lack of character. You could consider plunking in another.

I hope that you don’t mind. I did a little adjusting in Lightroom to give you another perspective.

Real Name
    Scott Benz

I like Viana's edit. I'm on the fence about the fence though... Wondering if a tighter crop on the bottom eliminating the fence in the foreground and the distance, include the large rock bottom left but clone out all the wires and buildings amongst the conifers. Just my gut thoughts.

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by epmi314 View Post
    I like Viana's edit. I'm on the fence about the fence though... Wondering if a tighter crop on the bottom eliminating the fence in the foreground and the distance, include the large rock bottom left but clone out all the wires and buildings amongst the conifers. Just my gut thoughts.
    I agree here...the fact that the WHOLE fence isn't in the frame kinda bothers me a little bit and drags my attention down to the bottom.

Real Name
    Lon Howard

As with most wide angle expansive landscape shots, something is needed in the foreground to add perspective because otherwise there's not much detail to capture your attention and no place for your eye to travel; so the fence does serve a purpose. I do agree with David that the 'missing' portion of the fence is a distraction.

The auto tint fix looks like a warming filter. It did add some life but also added haze. Viana corrected that by adding contrast and makes the background much more appealing. The foreground is still a little hot for my taste, but maybe that's just me.

If I am unsure how to adjust one of the editing tools, Kathy, I often use the Auto Adjust option and note what it has done. Then cancel that effect and manually adjust along the lines of the auto setting; but will slight variation to suit the image and my personal taste.

Real Name
    Kathy

I really like the fence in my photo because with out it, it is just another mountain picture . . . but I do agree about what is being said about the missing portion of the fence. Viana . . . I love what you did with my photo! Thank you for showing me how much better it can look. Thank you for all of your comments and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy O View Post
    I really like the fence in my photo because with out it, it is just another mountain picture . . . but I do agree about what is being said about the missing portion of the fence. Viana . . . I love what you did with my photo! Thank you for showing me how much better it can look. Thank you for all of your comments and advice.

I also like the fence, Kathy. However, If you have an opportunity to shoot this again or another like it, remember that a fence can lead the eye to a focal point. Therefore, just stand at another angle. If you do not have a road, fence, stream or allée leading the eye, you can perhaps use foliage or other elements to “frame” the focal point.

Glad that you like the edit, Kathy. If you have Lightroom simply go down the module. If you are inexperienced with edits then move the sliders to each extreme in order to learn what they do.

Only you can determine what the actual scene looked and felt like. You are the ultimate arbiter of how your photo will finally present.