Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Lightroom-3 on sale at amazon.com

Real Name
    Richard

Lightroom-3 on sale at amazon.com

AMAZON.COM (USA) is advertising the full ADOBE LIGHTROOM-3 program for ($USD) 150.00 with free shipping in the USA. This is the same price that I paid for the educational edition of this program but, this seems to be the full program without the student/faculty purchase requirement.

http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-65064073...1023574&sr=8-1

Real Name
    John

Re: Lightroom-3 on sale at amazon.com

Richard, thanks for the tip. I'm using Elements 10. Does LR interface with Elements 10? Is LR a substitute (improvement over) E10? I'm a novice photog... but working to improve my camera and processing skills; really trying to keep from going crazy in retirement (for me, retirement is not as nice as it is for some; I HATE the boredom, but I am enjoying the time with photography). Thanks for any advice.

Real Name
    Mark

Hi John, Lightroom is a powerful cataloging program with the same adobe raw processing feature that
    photoshop has, you will find that it will do most of the editing that you need and will export only the occasional image to your photoshop program for further editing. It has other very useful features, such as DNG conversion, slide show production, and loads of other stuff, you can download it free to use for a month from adobe so give it a try.

Real Name
    John

Thanks, Mark, for the tip. Photoshop sounds tempting, but not at the price, when I'm such a novice. Not so hard to part with $150, but WAY hard to part with 7 or 8 hundred, if you know what I mean
    OTOH, I'm not straining PSE10 much, either..

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi John,

As Mark says, LR is a different thing to PSE10, you'll still need that anyway.

Yes it should interface, when you have finished editing your RAW image in LR (which has better facilities than PSE10 I believe), you click Open Image and I think it should open in PSE. Anyone with LR and PSE care to confirm please?

Cheers,

Real Name
    John

Thanks Dave. That's precisely what I had hoped would be the case......I'm anxiously awaiting a confirmation from someone who knows the two.......

Real Name
    Mark

im making these comments from memory as my copy of photoshop is on my windows machine which is at home and im using my macbook but yes the image would be exported from lightroom directly to photoshop via the plugin manager found under the file menu, i think!

Real Name
    John

I don't have Photoshop, Mark. I have Photoshop ELEMENTS 10......are we talking about the same software?

Real Name
    Mark

Elements is just a slimmed down version of Photoshop, and should behave the same way as PS with LR, LR also integrates with nik soft and photmatrix, and other non adobe software, so I dont think you will have problems, but as I've said before, you can download it for free for a month to try it out, so give it a go! I have creative suite 4 .... still got to learn how to use it though!!
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 14th November 2011 at 11:06 AM.

Real Name
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi John,

As Mark says, LR is a different thing to PSE10, you'll still need that anyway.

Yes it should interface, when you have finished editing your RAW image in LR (which has better facilities than PSE10 I believe), you click Open Image and I think it should open in PSE. Anyone with LR and PSE care to confirm please?

Cheers,
    I have Lightroom ver 2 and Elements 8. The two interface perfectly and I did not have to mess around setting anything up when I installed them.

You can bring a photo into Elements when finished in LR by clicking on Photo in the Menu bar and then Edit In and select Elements.

If you want to use ACR in Elements you have to open the image from Elements.

Lightroom is great, but if you have Elements already, I'm not sure you really need it. Elements includes a RAW editor ACR which works just fine IMHO. The only reason I have Lightroom is becaue I purchased it before I got Elements.

Wendy

Real Name
    John

Thanks, Wendy. I first got Elements 8, then 9, and now 10. I'm just learning that I actually know almost nothing about Elements.....so if I don't learn how to use LR, it will be worthless, eh? This is all so very complicated!! I think I need a degree in PP, then make a decision about software. Thanks, everyone....This DOES help, in spite of my rant....