Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Thames near Hammersmith

Real Name
    Steve

The Thames near Hammersmith

Only had a DSLR a couple of weeks, so I am blundering about taking pics of anything trying to learn what does what on the camera.
    I took this whilst at work near the Thames.
    Don't think I've got the hang of holding it steady yet as it's not that sharp.
    Any pointers would be helpful.
    Thanks in advance
    Steve
    The Thames near Hammersmith
    I cropped this, but now have no idea how I did it. As stated, I am very green.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: The Thames near Hammersmith

Hi Steve, one of the first questions you want to ask yourself is "what is the subject (point of interest) that defines the reason to taking this picture?". The exposure looks good and as the scene doen't have any fast moving objects, you can use a relatively moderate shutter speed (about 1/60 -1/120 sec) UNLESS you are using a telephoto lens.

If you look at the original image on your PC, and right-click and look at properties, you should be able to see the ISO, aperture and shutter speed you used on the Details tab.

Real Name
    Steve

Cheers Framk. I was trying to compose the photo to show how the river is kinda encroached upon by the claustrophobic city. I think, maybe I missed.
    I believe the lens was a zoom at 200mm.
    At the moment I have no PC just an iPad, so the details of the shot are kinda lost. Maybe I should start to write down settings for each pic, until I get a computer.
    Thanks for taking time to reply.
    Regards Steve

That image is a little bit small to give any detailed opinions, Steve, but as far as I can see it appears reasonable considering you haven't done any editing.

In an ideal world, I would like to see just a little more water at the bottom. But you still need to retain the top of that highest building so it would mean shooting with a slightly smaller zoom length, or from a little further away.

That would also show a little more of the building which is just peeping from the left skyline. But I mean just a little more, say 10% more at the most.

Real Name
    Steve

Cheers for your comments Geoff.
    I may be working over that way again soon so I will give the view another go.
    Regards Steve