Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Advice and Comments Requested...

Real Name
    Joe

Advice and Comments Requested...

This image is a scan of a slide I took many years ago. I am scanning and post processing some images. My query is the utility pole. Would you leave it or remove it? What else do you think might make this image better?

Advice and Comments Requested...

Real Name
    Dave

Re: Advice and Comments Requested...

I like the pole so I'd leave it. I like the way the wires link the two structures especially the longest wire that connects the buildings and leads the eye into the scene.

I would however, be tempted to remove the wire going from the pole to the top of the frame.

Don't know if you could reduce the highlights, but I guess the large areas of dark land and sky have affected the meter and over exposed the highlights a bit. But even without an adjustment its a good photo.

Dave

Real Name
    GIRISH A.

Hi....its a nice picture. i agree with Dave...the pole should be retained....and if possible the wire going up may be avoided. The birds perching on the wire is giving life to the picture.........so i feel that its good if pole is retained

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

I like the stark white against the dark sky, Leave the pole and clone out the wire on top as suggested.
    You might try B/W as well.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Joe, I'd leave the pole and wires. If this one is a keeper for you, I'd work on trying to retrieve some of the detail in the sky and buildings in post processing.
    Last edited by FrankMi; 10th November 2011 at 10:17 PM.

I'd work on trying to retrieve some of the detail in the sky and buildings in post processing.

Yes, is it a little too much on the blue side?

Real Name
    Brian

It appears the lighthouse runs on electricity so the pole and wire are an essential part of the story. I would leave them in the photo.

This is a great image with lots of impact. The sky is a cool blue-grey while the land is rendered in very warm colours indicating the sun is low in the sky. These differrences in colour add interest to the photo. However, the stark whiteness of the lighthouse seems inconsistent with the warm light on the surrounding land. I suggest considering warming the colour of the lighthouse at least a little.

Real Name
    Joe

Thank you to all who offered comments and advice. When post processing this image I will apply your advise. When the image was originally shot in 1988, one shot the scene, then sent out the film to be developed. Once developed the images were scrutinized with a 10x lupe on a light table. The good ones kept and bad discarded. If a photo was good enough to be printed then one might have a professional lab do the editing suggested in the response to this thread. Now digital photography and scanning/digitizing photos taken then allows one to edit the photograph at home with post processing software. Digital photography and post processing gives instant enjoyment in the fruits of our labor. So much better than the way it used to be.

Now digital photography and scanning/digitizing photos taken then allows one to edit the photograph at home with post processing software. Digital photography and post processing gives instant enjoyment in the fruits of our labor. So much better than the way it used to be.

I've gradually been working through my old film negatives, Joe, and I'm finding that a lot of the previous 'rejects' were mostly just third rate printing problems.