Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Kids' devotion

Real Name
    Someslal Mukhopadhyay

Kids' devotion

This was taken in Calcutta on the bank of the Ganges. The way some kids were imitating the adults in order to offer prayers to an image of Lord Siva was interesting as well as funny.
    The shot was taken using a Nikon F5 film camera with a 100 ASA colour film. The exposure given was by a zoom lens set at 28 mm., with shutter speed 1/60 secs and relative aperture f/4.

04780006.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Donald; 10th November 2011 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Image inserted inline

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Kids' devotion

Someslal

First of all, hello and welcome to CiC.

You will see that I have moved your image into your post rather than just having it appear as a thumbnail. For help on learning how to post images in the forum, please read the help thread about how to post images available via the HELP/Rules tab in the menu bar above.

As to your image - I am surprised there is quite as much motion blur as there is with the shutter at 1/60th. But I don't think that blur is a problem.

I think thios can be a very good documentary image, but wonder if you need to re-consider the ration at which you have presented it. On looking at it I ask myself if we need to see the trunk of teh tree on the left-hand side and whether we need to see the object (is it a tent) on the right-hand side. If these were cropped you would have an image closer to a 4:5 portrait-format ratio. This would include the children and some of the background, to help give us context.

Would this produce a stronger image, do you think?

Real Name
    Someslal Mukhopadhyay

Reply from Someslal.

Hi Donaldda,

It is customary in Bengal to address senior friends or acquaintances as "dada" ( meaning : elder brother ) or in short as "da" ( the pronunciation of "d" in both the words being exactly like "d" in the French word "du" ). Hence I address you as "Donaldda".

Thank you for your learned comments on my photo. I heartily invite many more such comments from you in the future.

Regarding the shutterspeed, your surprise seems to be quite justified. Maybe it was 1/30 and not 1/60.

I sure will think about your suggestions on composition.

Regards and RSVP.

Someslal.

Re: Reply from Someslal.

Somesial...

Thanks for posting this picture. It reminds me of the many murti's I have seen and the children's attendance would be part of a daily ritual. I understand Donalds comments technically, but am grateful for the additioal context the whole picture brings.

Thank you..

Sabe