Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Inspirational shots - shots that you want to create and make your own

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Inspirational shots - shots that you want to create and make your own

The aim of this thread is more related to inspiration rather than people pics, hence this forum.
    In summary, what was your inspiration and where are you going with it?

http://www.ethan-t-allen.com/smoke-anime.html

I'm getting more into portraits and creating my own images rather than going out into the field and finding natural shots (but still love doing that as well, so I am expanding not changing direction).
    I came across the linked shot in a portrait book (Light and Shoot, Chris Gatcum). I fell in love with that shot immediately, in fact it was this shot I saw as I scanned the book when I picked it up that made me buy the book.

Something about it seemed to coalesce several ideas and feelings about my imagery. I immediately felt that that was the direction I wanted to move in. I can see composites of ballroom dancing and smoke working well.

So that is my inspiration and I want to make it mine and develop the idea in my own direction (and not to copy it).

And what is your inspiration for your next project/direction/whatever?

Graham
    (Here's a couple of my current efforts using available pics, very poor I know, just starting out on this road).

Re: Inspirational shots - shots that you want to create and make your own

Those are super, Graham!

Especially like the one with the masque. For the next time, what about some outrageous makeup with the masque?

Love the dancers as well.

So, how did you do those?

Real Name
    Bobo

I see pics that have been so mutilated and projected as "art" and frankly should be binned.

Yours on the other hand are what to my mind photo-art should be like - still real, still a pic but not mutilated beyond recognition.

Well done.

For myself, I am too new < 1 year into this game and still trying to make a good pic.

Real Name
    Mark

Fab shot graham, tell us how!!!!

Real Name
    Graham Heron

And what is YOUR inspirational shot?
    I want to learn from other peoples creativity. How did you get inspired and what did you do with that inspiration?

Graham
    (not an original idea in his life, merely formulaic and derivative )

How I did these?
    Take a LOTS of smoke shots (set up an incense stick in front of black backdrop, flash to rear and side (flag to prevent flare), light incense stick (just in case someone missed that step ) take pictures).
    Now find a picture that demonstrates dynamism and movement, place smoke (and resize as appropriate) to enhance the feel. Layer mask (I use Elements 7 (it can be done, PSE 10 has them directly not as a workaround) not CS#) and reveal smoke in suitable position within image.
    I can be more explicit, if necessary, with screen grabs.

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    For myself, I am too new < 1 year into this game and still trying to make a good pic.
    Bobobird, you have posted some very nice shots. So what do you see that makes you want to take that picture?
    For landscapes/candids why did you go to that location in the first place?
    What was your inspiration?

Graham
    (eternally interested)

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Viana View Post
    Those are super, Graham!

Especially like the one with the masque. For the next time, what about some outrageous makeup with the masque?

Love the dancers as well.

So, how did you do those?
    I like the idea of the extreme makeup with the mask, now I just have to learn makeup skills! Yet another challenge, thanks.
    I have seen your website, great pics.
    What was your inspiration for these (pic one and show and tell)?
    Surely you didn;t just go around randomly?

Graham
    (the guy with the cute bum)

Real Name
    Joe Watterson

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    . . . Yours on the other hand are what to my mind photo-art should be like - still real, still a pic but not mutilated beyond recognition.

Well done.

I agree - I like yours better because they appear more based in reality, rather than a pure PS confection. I particularly like the dancers because the smoke is better integrated with them rather than just a background.

Real Name
    Bobo

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamH View Post
    Bobobird, you have posted some very nice shots. So what do you see that makes you want to take that picture?
    For landscapes/candids why did you go to that location in the first place?
    What was your inspiration?

Graham
    (eternally interested)
    Thanks for the ego boost.

Anyway, I have no idea if it is inspiration or just plain dumb luck.

Here in HK have been fortunate that a couple of exhibition/publication class photographers ask me to tag along at outings. They look at a scene, take a shot and move on. Sometimes they will exclaim "salon shot". I am standing right next to them looking at the same scene and feel nothing. Will take a shot anyway to see what it was that they saw that I did not. On review - same thing. Nice scene and all that but that's all.

But thinking as I am typing this perhaps what inspires me to take a shot could be that at the moment a WOW goes off in my head. My better shots have always been reactive/instinctive. On the other hand, have always been disappointed with the result of planned shots though I could not pinpoint why. Surprisingly friends/family etc find these latter shots better then those I personally like. Still trying to understand that!

Maybe should post a couple of shots that I did not quite like and see what forum members have to say.

As you can see - Bobo is a confused Bird.

Btw, today is my first DSLR anniversary.

Sorry about the long ramble.

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Quote Originally Posted by joewatt View Post
    I agree - I like yours better because they appear more based in reality, rather than a pure PS confection. I particularly like the dancers because the smoke is better integrated with them rather than just a background.
    Thanks Joe, and what inspires you?

Graham