old blast door

c&c welcome
    old blast door

old blast door

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: old blast door

Hi Bootsy,

Definitely prefer the b&w portrait format one.

For this kind of subject mono works so much better, colour is just too realistic.

Might have preferred it truly vertical though and maybe a smidge more contrast in the brick wall.

Regards,

I'm not sure I find myself liking the first better, I think the colours are wonderful and you get a strong sense of how abandoned it is. The detail and textures are real and work for the photograph wonderfully.

The DOF goes well with the mysterious whats behind the door theme and overall its a damn good photo.

Don't like the b/w so much, seems as though you've lost a bit of detail and mood, lost the mysterious feel.

I understand Dave's preference for monochrome, but in this case I feel the colours are very significant .. maybe what attracted you to the subject in the first place?
    So that monochrome is a second choice here .. still a good story.

roxy

Real Name
    Paul

i posted both because i just could make my mind up about which one i like best.the colour one only had bit of a crop,levels and upped saturation a bit.the b&w had the same and some work in silver efex pro.which i'm still getting to grips with.

Real Name
    Matt Fannin

I agree.
    The colour shot draws our attention to the rustic qualities which are an obvious highlight point here, eg the white cobwebs spreading over the rusty metal are much more noticed in the colour shot.

I think the B/W could have been much better if taken in the exact same angle as the first - as it focuses too much on the pattern of the wall instead of the metal.

Yea, LOVE the first image though - very nice.

I love the first one because of where you took it. It shows us what's behind the door without actually showing us too much. It leaves our mind to wander. Not sure what it would look like in B & W but I dare say it would kill the background behind the door. Just my take on it though.
    Last edited by dan88; 26th April 2009 at 03:22 AM. Reason: change wonder to wander

I like both. But I found the color picture presents more texture details for
    such close-up photos, while b&w has great advantage to eliminate some undesired colors.