Thread: Recommended filter for Canon 10 - 22 lens

Recommended filter for Canon 10 - 22 lens

I just purchased canon 10 -22 lens for my 60d body. I have budget only for a UV filter at the moment. I do not want to compromise the IQ of the lens by throwing in a cheap filter, especially at this ultra wide angle range, however if the problems of the filter is easily corrected in Lightroom 3, I do not mind saving getting a decent filter instead of supreme filter to save $30 plus. Please advise me on what kind of filter should I get? I will eventually get a ND filter for this lens.

What about used lens filters? Do you recommend them?

Also I was wondering the importance of lens hood for this lens. I have read a few reviews stating that lens flare is no so much of a problem in this lens. I am not concerned about having the hood to protect my lens at this moment. If a lens hood is a must, will a generic be just find instead of the more expensive Canon lens hood?

Thanks,
    Kaustubh

Real Name
    Mark

Re: Recommended filter for Canon 10 - 22 lens

Hi Kaustubh, and welcome.

There will be lots of different opinions on this topic! heres mine

some people say that UV filters, dont work / effect image colour and other stuff too! personally i use a tiffin ht ultraclear, its only function being to protect the lens, its just clear coated glass that doesnt adversly effect the image as fas as ive noticed, they are stupidly expensive though.... its amazing how a piece of nothing can cost !

a second hand filter will be as good as a new one of the same brand / type if its not damaged.

Re Lens flare, i read a review from ken rockwell that said a lens was impossible to get flare with.... total bull! i managed first time out. so get the hood and use it as you see fit generic should be ok as long as it follows the pattern of the canon one, others will have a better idea on that as im not a canon user

Be careful that all this lot doesnt end up causing vignetting!

mark

Real Name
    Dave

There is quite a bit of debate about UV filters. Have a look at the tutorial section here for some information - https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tu...ns-filters.htm

Dave

Real Name
    Noel

Hi Kaustubh and welcome to CIC
    My 2 cents worth is that I use B+W UV 010 haze filters on most of my lenses. They don't seem to alter the colors very much if at all and I use them mainly for protection. It's a small investment to protect that expensive glass from being scratched. As far as other colors post processing in whatever software you are using can give you all sorts of different results, especially if you are shooting in RAW. I also have a Tiffen UV protector filter on my wide angle lens (an olympus 9-18mm) that yields great results. Enjoy, Noel

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

B+W and Heliopan SH-PMC filters have the best reputation. Hoya have some that at great and some that are not so great.

Personally, I use Heliopan SH-PMC on all my lenses.

Thanks Dave and Noel.

I prefer using filter to not using one because I have had dust issues in the past with lenses without filter. With my kit lens 18-55mm for Xsi and 50mm 1.8, i did not bother investing on filter and I see dust specks inside. Although it did not affect the image quality, I had to sell it cheaper when I upgraded to better lens. I have had no or very few dust issues with the lenses protected by UV filters. So my main aim here is protection of the lens.

I shoot raw almost exclusively so slight variation in color should not be a problem. And frankly speaking, I have not built that photographic eye to distinguish those small variation in various elements of photos. I sure hope to have that quality someday.

Cheers,
    Kaustubh

Thanks Colin (guessed it right!)

Thanks Mark for the good info.

I did read Rockwell review and his recommendation as to no use of hood. I was skeptical about it.

May be people who have used generic hood could suggest better.

Best,
    Kaustubh

Real Name
    Ronny Geenen

I have the same Canon lens for the last 2 years, which I use for Real Estate interior shooting. I have constant a Hoya Pro1 Digital Filter in front of the lens and mainly to protect.
    I also do not notice any difference in the pictures with or without this UV.
    Good luck with this fine lens.
    Last edited by Ronny; 9th November 2011 at 10:05 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Real Name
    Cristian Alexe

Here another opinion. I imagine diogenesdenepa will be totaly confused But he shall choose what he thinks is best for him.

Problem with UV filters is not necessarily degradation of colors. Main problem is flare when shooting with a strong lightsource in the frame (e.g. sun, on sunshine, sunset, etc.). I have Hoya & Heliopan UVs. Heliopan is better. But best is no filter at all. Much better!

Protection: I prefer to use the lenshood for this purpose. Dust in the lens - I have never heard of this problem at EF10-22 (might happen, I don't know, just never heard of it); anyhow a filter will not protect the lens so that dust does not get behind the front glass. Bad built lenses (e.g. EF 50 f/1,8) will get dust behind lens with or without protective filter.

Finally, as far as I am concerned, I screw an UV (slim) filter on only when shooting in bad conditions: bad weather, when I am in the boat (water splashes) and similar situations. Hoya (slim) UV would be good enogh for this purpose, I would not spend so much money on Heliopan UV a second time. I have never had B+W filters, could be that these ones generate less flare, but they are very expensive, higher priced than Heliopan.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by calexe View Post
    Here another opinion. I imagine diogenesdenepa will be totaly confused But he shall choose what he thinks is best for him.

Problem with UV filters is not necessarily degradation of colors. Main problem is flare when shooting with a strong lightsource in the frame (e.g. sun, on sunshine, sunset, etc.). I have Hoya & Heliopan UVs. Heliopan is better. But best is no filter at all. Much better!

Protection: I prefer to use the lenshood for this purpose. Dust in the lens - I have never heard of this problem at EF10-22 (might happen, I don't know, just never heard of it); anyhow a filter will not protect the lens so that dust does not get behind the front glass. Bad built lenses (e.g. EF 50 f/1,8) will get dust behind lens with or without protective filter.

Finally, as far as I am concerned, I screw an UV (slim) filter on only when shooting in bad conditions: bad weather, when I am in the boat (water splashes) and similar situations. Hoya (slim) UV would be good enogh for this purpose, I would not spend so much money on Heliopan UV a second time. I have never had B+W filters, could be that these ones generate less flare, but they are very expensive, higher priced than Heliopan.
    Hi Cristian,
    I'm with you. I have UVs for all my lenses, but only use them when I want to protect the front element of the lens from something nasty, otherwise I just see a UV as another two glass surfaces for light to bounce around. I've smashed a few UVs in the last 50 years, but it's unlikely the front elements of the lenses would have been affected had they not been there.