Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Seascape & Windfarm

Real Name
    David

Seascape & Windfarm

Hi All - Here's a seascape from my recent visit to the Solway Coast at Auchencairn in Dumfries & Galloway.

Seascape & Windfarm

This is, in fact, an HDR image, processed with the software from Dynamic Photo. I've tweaked the result by sharpening and by colour enhancement and finally by cropping to this elongated format. I've deliberately created the three obvious bands of rocks, sea and sky, on a rough, medium, smooth texture basis. This concept has been used by a local artist (Bea Last) quite successfully in many of her abstracted landscapes of the region.

Finally, although not apparent to me when I took the images, the local windfarm in the Solway Firth is visible as faint vertical streaks. The construction of these windmills in the sea caused quite a stooshie in the locality.

Comments and crits welcome as per usual.

David

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Seascape & Windfarm

Hi David,

I dunno, you'd think there was enough wind without needing all those fans to create even more onshore breeze

So, is it going to spoil the view, or add interest?

Now here's an idea, and remember, you read it here first; having spent probably millions building those structures, why only use 'em only for wind generation?
    Although maybe they're not ideally located, but with all the hardware and cables in place, why not also generate from tidal and/or wave power?

On to the photo; is that 3 different 'strata' of pebbles I see before me?
    Or a shadow from camera right? It's an odd mix of colours, but they each seem natural.

I'm guessing the sea is not really that lovely mediteranian blue, that's from the HDR, yes?

Given the wind farm is there top right, I'm wondering if a little foreground interest bottom left might not go amiss?

Perhaps go back when the wind farm has blades and stick one/some of those kiddies windmills in the stones, subtle like, quite a way off so they're not too dominant.

Regards,

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

David
    The idea of the 3 distinct bands set out like this is clever. It needs to be looked at for a while, but it works. But does the wind farm not divert attention away from the 3 very separate sections? What would the image look like with it cloned out?

And as for Dave's suggestion that the Solway is not always this majestic blue ... Well! Doesn't everyone know that Scotland always looks like this? Wall-to-wall sunshine!

Real Name
    David

Hi Guys - Thanks for the comments. Now I have looked more closely, there could be said to be 3 different rock strata: one with green/yellow lichen, one blackish basalt, and the greywacke (that's its geological name) nearest the water. If I were printing this image, I would probably clone out the windfarm, it wasn't meant to be there. However, I do like the idea of a toy wind mill, bottom left.

Dave - c'mon -what a slur about the colour of the beautiful Solway Firth!!!! Donald's got it spot on, sunny Scotland, blue skies and sea, green fields, wild haggis (three species) and golden whisky. So what if the wretched HDR software added a tiny smidgen of extra blue. I'm back there this weekend, so I'll double check.

Cheers

David