Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Entrance to the Field

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Entrance to the Field

Now, this is another of those 'Mmmmm, not totally sure' images. So I'm wondering what you think.

What about the content? What about the composition?

If you're a newer member and haven't commented on someone else's image, then why not use this one as your first commentary. You'll either feel that you like, or you don't. If you like it - Why? If you don't like it - Why?

We don't need any clever, technical reasons to explain why you like it or not. But just ask yourself the question ... and then write down your answer in a message on here. Anything from; "It's boring and dull and has no point to it. Why did you even think it would make a good image", to, "Donald you're my hero for producing such a stunning image, you wonderful, gorgeous man" .. and all points in between, are options. Just capture your first reaction and then your more considered thoughts.

Entrance to the Field
    40D, Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 @ 11mm. ISO 100. 1/4 @f11

Real Name
    Natalie

Re: Entrance to the Field

Hi Donald - I'll take up your challenge (new member here!) I don't like the composition. I feel that the fence intercepts the image too much - almost cutting it in half. If it were composed with it on less of an angle so that the fence led to the right of the trees then I think it would lead you more into the image. My eyes dart around too much looking at the end of the fence, then the left of trees and then the right of the trees and then they don't know where to go. As always with 'art' everyone has their own opinions and this is just mine.

Real Name
    Sharon

The fence is too central for me and am not sure what the focal point is.

Some stronger contrasts would add depths

but what the hell do I know?

rob marshall

"Donald you're my hero for producing such a stunning image, you wonderful, gorgeous man" ..

Yes, I see what you mean, Donald.

For me, there is a little too much rather uninteresting sky and the fence ends too centrally, in all directions.

I suspect that simply shooting from a different angle which had less sky would work better even with the fence in the same position. If I hide half the sky it appears much more interesting to me. And the fence seems longer.

Possibly try a slight crop?

Real Name
    Robert Farkas

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    "Donald you're my hero for producing such a stunning image, you wonderful, gorgeous man" ..
    Hilarious Rob, well played

As for the pic, I like it...just noticed that lake far off in the background...

Real Name
    John

OK, here goes. My first critique on here. I like it. I feel it invites me to walk into the picture to the end of the fence, and then look sharply to the right, and down the hill. The fence is sort of mysterious to me. Is it slightly (like a pixel or so) too sharpened? To my eye, there is a bit of halo. But then, what the hell do "EYE" know?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thank you, everyone, for your comments.

Daisy and John - Developing the confidence to critique and gaining the learning that flows from doing so, is, I think, a hugely important step in developing as a photographer.

The first of three excellent articles on the subject by Alain Briot can be located here. This is the second. And this is the third. I think they are highly relevant and helpful, to both the giving and receiving of criticism.

And I think the development of the skill to criticise constructively is a hugely important learning too in the context of helping us then 'see' better images that we can make.

So - What do you know? You know what you know. And as you develop you will know more. You are still allowed to have a view and express it.

As to the image itself, I think that people picked up on all the 'issues' that I was thinking about - which is good, because it confirms where my own thinking was going.

Real Name
    Bobo

I have always admired you b&w conversions and post processing and this one is no exception. Composition and presentation is excellent as usual. Ok, shoe-shining aside, it IS a boring pic.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Ok, shoe-shining aside, it IS a boring pic.
    Okay. I take it you want me to cancel your purchase order then?

Real Name
    Angie

Here it is. My first posting. Keep in mind I am just a Mom/Grandma with a camera. The picture does not draw my eye to a true focal point. The fence is fairly plain not extradinary, so it is the trees in the very FAR distance that gains my focus, nope. The sky is not showing me any unique clouds...
    The picture is very nice. But not one I would rush to have printed and framed. But I would definitly scrapbook it!
    Angie

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Alwaysme View Post
    Here it is. My first posting. Keep in mind I am just a Mom/Grandma with a camera.
    Grandma is allowed to have an opinion as well, Angie! Don't apologise for it. A grandma with a camera has every right to be as involved and engaged as anyone else.

And so, welcome to CiC. Great to have you here and thanks for joining up. I hope you stay around as a member of the forum and enjoy it. Like it says at the top of the page, this is a learning community: A forum on which people are more than willing to share knowledge and experience to help others.

Real Name
    John

Thank you, Donald, for affording this learning experience and for the links. I'm glad I participated.