Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: welcoming night...

Real Name
    Febriana Ayu Syafitri

welcoming night...

i took this picture when me and my family was taking a walk along a new waterway at Punggol, Singapore. it was a nice late afternoon. I took with a pocket camera and edited in Picassa.

welcoming night...

welcoming night...

Comments and critiques are welcome..thanks..

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: welcoming night...

Febriana

When you say 'pocket camera' what do you mean? What is the make and model?

Both images do, I believe, illustrate your ability to compose a good image.

However, both images have significant problems and I wonder if you agree with this? The problems are primarily, I think, based on exposure. I am assuming that your camera is a 'point and shoot' type and that you did not have or exercise control over shutter speed, aperture setting etc. Please do correct me if I am wrong.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Donald, and welcome Febriana,

The EXIF shows it to be an Olympus VG310 or D710 (dual model names for different countries I expect)

The moon shot was 1/8s, f/3.4 at 800 iso at 8.3mm (no 35mm equivalent focal length is avaiable in data) and the flash fired.

Therefore I suspect it is a P&S with a small sensor and little control over auto, but I haven't looked it up yet.

Must dash,

Real Name
    Febriana Ayu Syafitri

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Febriana

When you say 'pocket camera' what do you mean? What is the make and model?

Both images do, I believe, illustrate your ability to compose a good image.

However, both images have significant problems and I wonder if you agree with this? The problems are primarily, I think, based on exposure. I am assuming that your camera is a 'point and shoot' type and that you did not have or exercise control over shutter speed, aperture setting etc. Please do correct me if I am wrong.
    Hi Mr. Donald,

Thanks and appreciate your comments. Yes I agree, the problem is with the light.. I used a "point and shoot". For the next shots , I will focus on the control over the necessary settings beside the composition.

Cheers..

Real Name
    Febriana Ayu Syafitri

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Donald, and welcome Febriana,

The EXIF shows it to be an Olympus VG310 or D710 (dual model names for different countries I expect)

The moon shot was 1/8s, f/3.4 at 800 iso at 8.3mm (no 35mm equivalent focal length is avaiable in data) and the flash fired.

Therefore I suspect it is a P&S with a small sensor and little control over auto, but I haven't looked it up yet.

Must dash,
    Hi Mr. Dave,

My camera is olympus VG-130, a P&S. Actually i am not familiar with that technical word..
    Thank you for your info and attention. I will explore it..

Cheers..

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Febriana ayu View Post
    Hi Mr. Dave,

My camera is olympus VG-130, a P&S. Actually i am not familiar with that technical word..
    Thank you for your info and attention. I will explore it..

Cheers..
    Hi Febriana,

Your camera does have some scene modes (14), did you use the Night Scene one for these?

Cheers,

Whatever settings are used for this sort of scene will involve a shutter speed which is little too slow for hand held shots and will result in camera shake. So I would advise using a tripod, or other means to steady the camera for a sufficiently long exposure.

This would also enable the use of a lower ISO which will help to control 'noise'.

Real Name
    Febriana Ayu Syafitri

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Febriana,

Your camera does have some scene modes (14), did you use the Night Scene one for these?

Cheers,
    Hi Mr Dave,

Ya..I have tried, but everytime I take the picture in the early evening or late afternoon..I have a difficulties in adjusting the light..I think I should practise more...

Thanks and cheers...

Real Name
    Febriana Ayu Syafitri

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Whatever settings are used for this sort of scene will involve a shutter speed which is little too slow for hand held shots and will result in camera shake. So I would advise using a tripod, or other means to steady the camera for a sufficiently long exposure.

This would also enable the use of a lower ISO which will help to control 'noise'.
    Hi Mr. Geoff..

Thank you for your advise..I will try using a tripod..I think it will help me coz sometimes my hand shake..

Cheers..