Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: welcoming night...

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Posts
    32
    Real Name
    Febriana Ayu Syafitri

    welcoming night...

    i took this picture when me and my family was taking a walk along a new waterway at Punggol, Singapore. it was a nice late afternoon. I took with a pocket camera and edited in Picassa.

    welcoming night...

    welcoming night...

    Comments and critiques are welcome..thanks..

  2. #2
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    19,917
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: welcoming night...

    Febriana

    When you say 'pocket camera' what do you mean? What is the make and model?

    Both images do, I believe, illustrate your ability to compose a good image.

    However, both images have significant problems and I wonder if you agree with this? The problems are primarily, I think, based on exposure. I am assuming that your camera is a 'point and shoot' type and that you did not have or exercise control over shutter speed, aperture setting etc. Please do correct me if I am wrong.

  3. #3
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,245
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: welcoming night...

    Hi Donald, and welcome Febriana,

    The EXIF shows it to be an Olympus VG310 or D710 (dual model names for different countries I expect)

    The moon shot was 1/8s, f/3.4 at 800 iso at 8.3mm (no 35mm equivalent focal length is avaiable in data) and the flash fired.

    Therefore I suspect it is a P&S with a small sensor and little control over auto, but I haven't looked it up yet.

    Must dash,

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Posts
    32
    Real Name
    Febriana Ayu Syafitri

    Re: welcoming night...

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Febriana

    When you say 'pocket camera' what do you mean? What is the make and model?

    Both images do, I believe, illustrate your ability to compose a good image.

    However, both images have significant problems and I wonder if you agree with this? The problems are primarily, I think, based on exposure. I am assuming that your camera is a 'point and shoot' type and that you did not have or exercise control over shutter speed, aperture setting etc. Please do correct me if I am wrong.
    Hi Mr. Donald,

    Thanks and appreciate your comments. Yes I agree, the problem is with the light.. I used a "point and shoot". For the next shots , I will focus on the control over the necessary settings beside the composition.

    Cheers..

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Posts
    32
    Real Name
    Febriana Ayu Syafitri

    Re: welcoming night...

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Donald, and welcome Febriana,

    The EXIF shows it to be an Olympus VG310 or D710 (dual model names for different countries I expect)

    The moon shot was 1/8s, f/3.4 at 800 iso at 8.3mm (no 35mm equivalent focal length is avaiable in data) and the flash fired.

    Therefore I suspect it is a P&S with a small sensor and little control over auto, but I haven't looked it up yet.

    Must dash,
    Hi Mr. Dave,

    My camera is olympus VG-130, a P&S. Actually i am not familiar with that technical word..
    Thank you for your info and attention. I will explore it..

    Cheers..

  6. #6
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,245
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: welcoming night...

    Quote Originally Posted by Febriana ayu View Post
    Hi Mr. Dave,

    My camera is olympus VG-130, a P&S. Actually i am not familiar with that technical word..
    Thank you for your info and attention. I will explore it..

    Cheers..
    Hi Febriana,

    Your camera does have some scene modes (14), did you use the Night Scene one for these?

    Cheers,

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    South Devon, UK
    Posts
    11,634

    Re: welcoming night...

    Whatever settings are used for this sort of scene will involve a shutter speed which is little too slow for hand held shots and will result in camera shake. So I would advise using a tripod, or other means to steady the camera for a sufficiently long exposure.

    This would also enable the use of a lower ISO which will help to control 'noise'.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Posts
    32
    Real Name
    Febriana Ayu Syafitri

    Re: welcoming night...

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Febriana,

    Your camera does have some scene modes (14), did you use the Night Scene one for these?

    Cheers,
    Hi Mr Dave,

    Ya..I have tried, but everytime I take the picture in the early evening or late afternoon..I have a difficulties in adjusting the light..I think I should practise more...

    Thanks and cheers...

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Posts
    32
    Real Name
    Febriana Ayu Syafitri

    Re: welcoming night...

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Whatever settings are used for this sort of scene will involve a shutter speed which is little too slow for hand held shots and will result in camera shake. So I would advise using a tripod, or other means to steady the camera for a sufficiently long exposure.

    This would also enable the use of a lower ISO which will help to control 'noise'.
    Hi Mr. Geoff..

    Thank you for your advise..I will try using a tripod..I think it will help me coz sometimes my hand shake..

    Cheers..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •