Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Bait and switch vigilante fighting dishonest internet sellers

Real Name
    Richard

Bait and switch vigilante fighting dishonest internet sellers

Hats off to Dave who is engaged in a battle with the fraudulent Brooklyn, New York based dealers who habitually rip off consumers with bait and switch and other disreputable and illegal practices.

http://thoughts-of-dave.blogspot.com/

Yes I believe that there are honest Brooklyn Internet camera sales sites; just as I believe a flight of pigs just flew over my house.

Did you hear those winged porkers oink as they flew by?

Real Name
    John

Re: Bait and switch vigilante fighting dishonest internet sellers

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Hats off to Dave who is engaged in a battle with the fraudulent Brooklyn, New York based dealers who habitually rip off consumers with bait and switch and other disreputable and illegal practices.

http://thoughts-of-dave.blogspot.com/

Yes I believe that there are honest Brooklyn Internet camera sales sites; just as I believe a flight of pigs just flew over my house.

Did you hear those winged porkers oink as they flew by?
    Probably not Dave's thing but I would think a class action lawsuit was in order.

Some guidance on avoiding them:

http://www.resellerratings.com/

Just type in the name and read the comments and ratings.

Not perfect but better than going blind.

I just typed in B&H Photo-Video. Just as I suspected, they have a very high rating (I've dealt with them).

Glenn

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

The resellerratings site makes for some riviting reading - sonic cameras was one of my all-time favourites.

What I can't understand is why why why why aren't these scum behind bars?

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    The resellerratings site makes for some riviting reading - sonic cameras was one of my all-time favourites.

What I can't understand is why why why why aren't these scum behind bars?
    These scum operate for a short time under one name, close down and open up under another name. I would expect that the New York City (of which Brooklyn is part) District Attorney's office is understaffed and under funded and that they concentrate their efforts on other types of crime which leaves these guys pretty free do do as the wish. Close one down this week and he opens under another name next week. It also probably takes a while to establish a case against them.

Real Name
    Mike Goodwin

Hi, about 5 yrs ago when I decided that I wanted to buy my Canon 400D / XTI I of course made the mistake of thinking the lowest price would be a good deal. The phone calls I made, internet searching I did and the lies & stories I got from some dealers was just amazing. One time a dealer told me that to get the internet price without buying anything else, added items such as warrenties & or other special items, that the camera for the internet price would only come with a foreign language menu system, not one with a english menu. I ended up at B&H and got what I wanted for a fair price. Then with my new 7D, Adorama had a refurnished unit for a great price and I got it. Its not worth the time & effort to try and save a few dollars, go with quality and just be done with it.

Real Name

These scum operate for a short time under one name, close down and open up under another name. I would expect that the New York City (of which Brooklyn is part) District Attorney's office is understaffed and under funded and that they concentrate their efforts on other types of crime which leaves these guys pretty free do do as the wish. Close one down this week and he opens under another name next week. It also probably takes a while to establish a case against them.
    I guess. The likes of Sonic Cameras were trading for ages though - a zillion people saying that they'd reported them to the BBB etc. Something just doesn't seen right when someone is sent to jail for small quantities of drugs (probably fpr personal use), and yet scum like this can rip people off time and time again with impunity.

Richard's comments about how the operate reminded me of an incident that was related on potn:

A not completely reputable company at one location in NY city had several websites with different names. And all of the ratings were very low. Some of the horror stories told on the forum were almost unbelievable.

They are not going to go away because they thrive on human nature - many humans are very gullible. And this won't ever change. PT Barnum would have recognized that (however he probably wasn't the one that said, "there is a sucker born every minute".)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There%2...n_every_minute

Glenn

Real Name

Have a read of these reviews for a little "light reading" ...

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Sonic_Cameras

Real Name
    Richard

The old adage is very true, "IF A DEAL SEEMS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT PROBABLY IS!" Sure gulibility has a lot to do with these scummy dealers always having customers but, the inate desire of people to get a bargain is also a contributor.

I could almost guarantee... If you are seeing a photo item advertised at a price significantly less than the prices on B&H or Adorama (both from New York City but, not from Brooklyn); the advertisement is most likely a scam. These two companies operate on a very small profit margin with volume sales. They are quite reliable and will usually have the lowest prices in the Internet.

Real Name
    Ian

Wouldnt even dream of going to any other NYC camera dealer other than B&H or Adorama, although be careful not to generalise as B&H have their storage depot in Brooklyn. (but you will not get in, even if you knew whereabouts, except by special written invite!) security is very very tight as you might expect!

Real Name

The old adage is very true, "IF A DEAL SEEMS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT PROBABLY IS!" Sure gulibility has a lot to do with these scummy dealers always having customers but, the inate desire of people to get a bargain is also a contributor.

I could almost guarantee... If you are seeing a photo item advertised at a price significantly less than the prices on B&H or Adorama (both from New York City but, not from Brooklyn); the advertisement is most likely a scam. These two companies operate on a very small profit margin with volume sales. They are quite reliable and will usually have the lowest prices in the Internet.
    Very wise words - couldn't agree more!