Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Not a pretty picture at all....

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

Not a pretty picture at all....

Walking through the subdivision where we have our weekend home, I found this a while back. What do people think?
    Living in a wooded area does not make you a hick who doesn't care!
    This just makes me see red!
    During the summer months, the boy scouts do some clean-up, but there's only so much they can do.

Real Name
    John

Re: Not a pretty picture at all....

That is just disgusting, and unfortunately too common. Your capture of it is good, though!

Real Name
    Richard

I am always amazed at the cleanliness of the backroads and highways in the state of Utah! It is, IMO, a pleasure to travel in that state!

There are so,me areas of the USA that are outlawing the use of plastic grocery bags. I believe that San Francisco california, either has or was considering such an ordinance.

It would be a PITA for persons like me who are really careful about proper disposal of trash but, in the long run, it might be worth it...

Real Name
    Bobo

You have to bring your own bag for supermarket stuff in Toronto and there is small charge if you do need a bag. The supermarkets also make available their packing boxes.

Here in HK, all the major supermarkets, convenience stores do not provide bags.

But the most advanced one in that direction is of all places India - you get bags but manufacture and/or importation of non environmentally plastic bags is banned.

Nice capture. I too take such shots and then pass them on to the appropriate authority.

Real Name
    Mike

Kris, During the warmer months I spend a lot of time cruising the mountain backroads looking
    for shot opportunities, and crap like that is unfortunately becoming a common sight. Too many
    "custodians of modern chemistry" who just don't give a damn about the beauty of nature and
    the forests. They're either too cheap to pay for garbage pick-up, or they're too cheap and
    lazy to take it to the local station (costs $5.00 to drop off garbage, and recycling stuff is
    free).

I carry a few large garbage bags with me at all times, and when I find a pile of trash some
    thoughtless maggot left I'll grab one and start going through the garbage and packing the
    bag, and at the same time be looking for any kind of envelopes, mail, etc. that have a name
    and address on them. Find a few that are the same, then save those in the bag, and take
    it to the local Sheriff or US Forestry office. They'll go search the site some more, and with
    the evidence you provide they'll be sure to have a chat (or two) with the owner of the
    trash. Fines can run into the thousands of $, and if they don't pay 'em...it's ...Not a pretty picture at all....

Worst case, you haul a couple bags of the crap out of the mountains, and the environment
    is better off for it. Low-life's that leave their trash get caught sooner or later (sooner if I
    find it), but sadly there's always another low-life willing to take their place. Not a pretty picture at all....

Mike

Real Name
    Steve

There is always rubbish like traffic cones and beer bottles around here and I never clean it up for fear of finding something nasty amongst it.

Some kids found a case with a dead body in it

I clean up a site of crisp packets ect if I want a photo, but that is it.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I thought the UK was the worst for not caring about litter like this. Some of our urban and rural areas are just unbelievable. My partner recently risked some bodily harm when she banged on the window of a parked car whose driver had just thrown a pizza package out of the window. The guy took off and made to head the car straight towards her, veering off at the last minute.

I'm not sure how we change attitudes and values. We've somehow got to make people care about the environment ... and that's a massive undertaking.

Go to most of mainland Europe and you just don't see this sort of thing. People have more respect for the land and their environment.

My own effort to carry this message, which I first posted on here in May 2010 was:-

'Bonnie Scotland'

40D, Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 @ 11mm. ISO100. 1/125@f5.6

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I thought the UK was the worst for not caring about litter like this. Some of our urban and rural areas are just unbelievable. My partner recently risked some bodily harm when she banged on the window of a parked car whose driver had just thrown a pizza package out of the window. The guy took off and made to head the car straight towards her, veering off at the last minute.

I'm not sure how we change attitudes and values. We've somehow got to make people care about the environment ... and that's a massive undertaking.

Go to most of mainland Europe and you just don't see this sort of thing. People have more respect for the land and their environment.

My own effort to carry this message, which I first posted on here in May 2010 was:-

'Bonnie Scotland'

40D, Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 @ 11mm. ISO100. 1/125@f5.6
    Not a pretty picture either.....

Real Name
    Virginia

Does anybody else remember when we didn't have signs in the US saying, " Fine for littering $nnn" and our parents yelled at us (even without seeing what was happening), "Don't even THINK about tossing that candy bar wrapper out the window"? Turns out they had excellent hearing and heard the window crank starting to roll down the window!

In Winter Term, 1970, I was preparing a multimedia presentation on environmental degradation. I set aside all day Saturday to go find things to use for my slides and sounds. At 8am I set out and by 10:30, I had three 36-exposure rolls of film. Today I would have filled up my 4GB memory card and it's getting worse.

IJS....

v
    Last edited by drjuice; 2nd November 2011 at 03:44 PM. Reason: spelled "yelled" wrong

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by drjuice View Post
    Does anybody else remember when we didn't have signs in the US saying, " Fine for littering $nnn" and our parents yelled at us (even without seeing what was happening), "Don't even THINK about tossing that candy bar wrapper out the window"? Turns out they had excellent hearing and heard the window crank starting to roll down the window!

In Winter Term, 1970, I was preparing a multimedia presentation on environmental degradation. I set aside all day Saturday to go find things to use for my slides and sounds. At 8am I set out and by 10:30, I had three 36-exposure rolls of film. Today I would have filled up my 4GB memory card and it's getting worse.

IJS....

v
    The photo I originally posted was just one of the set I took. After about 20 shots, I got too disgusted to continue. Some of the stuff laying around was just gross! I'll spare you the details......

Real Name
    Steve

This reminds me Martin Parr's New Brighton:

Donald, I really admire your technique in composition and PP. It's very consistent and has style.

Real Name
    Steve

Amazing; I found this as evidence and I'm pretty sure I saw a suitcase around the area the body was found, but also pretty sure it didn't look like this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-11374864

However, I did see one like that and a pink mobile phone with matching slipper within 100 metres of here:

Cor, the rubbish photo's I used to take.