Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Gloucester Cathedral

Real Name
    Peter

Gloucester Cathedral

Be gentle, this is my first post here.

This is an HDR image of the Lady Chapel.

_mg_5372_1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 22nd April 2009 at 09:55 AM.

Re: Gloucester Cathedral

There's no reason to be gentle because this picture looks very good!
    It is your first post but not the first photo you made.
    I like the colors and composition.
    It seems to angle a bit, that's a pity.
    The white frame isn't my favorite but everybody has his own taste about frames.

All together it's a very good picture and i am looking forward to see more pictures from you.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Peter,

Well, it's not too bad at all for a first go here

It has a definite "HDR look" about it, not sure whether that's a real image issue or just my brain saying 'that ain't right' because it knows the inside should be darker if the outside looks like that.

It would be useful to know a little more of how you arrived at this result.

While the far wall and window looks sharp, I am seeing blurring on the near left hand wall and some on the right too and I am wondering if;
    a) the camera/tripod moved slightly between shots, or
    b) you bracketed using aperture rather than shutter speed, or
    c) you tried to re-focus between bracket shots to improve depth of field

Whichever it was, that's the worst thing wrong with it, but since it's peripheral, thats OK.
    Noise looks fine.

On the "HDR look" I mentioned first, perhaps a bit of USM (Un Sharp Mask) to enhance local contrast might help - I think I'd try it on a copy rather than risk the original as it may not help - I have no personal experience of HDR, but plenty using USM to fix 'flat' looking photos. Try 20% (amount), 80 pixels (radius) and 1 (threshold) to start with and experiment from there (checking and unchecking 'Preview' to compare with original. Not sure what PP software you'll use so this may not make sense.

For a "final polish"; a little perspective correction on the final HDR result might also help, i.e. straighten the converging verticals, this would "ice the cake". If I can mix my metphors!

Hope that helps (and wasn't too harsh),

Real Name
    Peter

Dave,

Thanks for the critique, very welcome.

Followed your tips and attach a re-work of the image. The softness you mentioned actually comes from the lens, a Sigma 14mm F2.8 which although very wide and with good sharpness in the centre suffers from some softness at the edges. Only apparent on one side as this is a slight crop to remove some scaffolding on the right.

_mg_5372_2.jpg

_MG_5372_2.jpg
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 22nd April 2009 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Added image inline

Hello Peter.. This image appealed to me from the word go.. your first post so now is a benchmark for more to follow!
    I noticed the softness mentioned but must say I have no problem forgiving this .. I feel sharpness per se is often an over rated component of photos, obviously important to afficionados but generally less so to lay observers. To me the colour, mood and story are what matters more and you've got a good image considering these parameters.
    If you had a companion around at the time, I think inclusion of a person "at prayer" might add another interesting touch?
    roxy

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Thanks Peter,

I think it was a good call taking that extra panel off the left hand side too.

Glad to help,

I much prefer the second image. I agree that softness has its place but for me (and maybe it is just my tired eyes) an image with so much intricate detail tends to fool the eye into fuzziness when it is sharp out of the camera. Because this image is slightly out of focus it accentuates that fuzziness. Just a personal opinion. The off centre aspect makes a nice composition though. Before trying HDR I would have stretched the levels a little more than usual. i think the image could stand it.

Real Name
    Andrew

Peter

I am impressed with the feeling of space that your photograph gives. The task of capturing the 'grandure' is very difficult (perhaps impossible) but this image goes some way to doing just that. Oddly enough my preference is for the first image, what ever the technical issues, as it broadens the overall effect.

Andy

Real Name
    Chris

Hi Peter & a warm welcome from me

Gloucester Cathedral is one of my favourites and I am long overdue for a visit with a decent camera, having last had a go with a compact (http://www.pbase.com/crisscross/gloucester_cathedral)

It is certainly one of the biggest photographic challenges in the book and your command of HDR (ie without it being obvious) is admirable and sorts one of the problems, ie getting the detail in the dark corners and not blowing the huge areas of glass.

However, that lens is doing you no favours and although the 2nd edition is better, the 'soft' left hand section is spoiling it. As far as the vertical perspective is concerned, I reckon it is best to leave a bit as in Cathedrals there is genuine perspective upwards as well as forwards; however that means you have to be careful with where the edges fall relative to vertical features. There is also some barrel distortion from the lens. Might be worth trying DxO for prelim work, especially if your lens is on their list. (more on DxO in PP&Print thread)

I have more recently had a go at Tewkesbury Abbey (http://www.pbase.com/crisscross/tewkesbury) so as not to be so much pot calling kettle black

There is also the knack common to nearly all photography of trying to get the right amount of your subject in one frame, concentrating on what caught your eye. I find it more satisfying to do a series of mixed overall-context and details rather than going for single 'wow' shots. Even more pertinent on efforts at Hereford (part of http://www.pbase.com/crisscross/herefordetc )

If you live locally, do send me a PM and maybe we could have a go at Gloucester together?

PS I am a retired architect and my work did include looking after a number of churches, though never aspired to cathedral heights