Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Disparate views of Canada, urban and rural

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Disparate views of Canada, urban and rural

Algonquin park, large conservation area, full of photo ops.
    I came across this one by a well worn trail, everyone else was walking on by. Next year, the beaver dam had broken and the water level dropped a couple of feet, revealing a lot of detritus, spoiling the reflection.

The second one is a classic shot of the harbourfront in Vancouver. For those who don't know, it's a 5 hour flight from Toronto. Toronto from the UK is around 8 hours. If memory serves me right).
    Graham

Algonquin

Vancouver

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Disparate views of Canada, urban and rural

Graham

Not so sure that the one on the park works. Because, I think, of the extremes of light and shade. The shadows at the bottom are pretty severe.Also, I think it needs a clockwise rotation to get things straightened up.

On the other hand. That one of the waterfront is a beauty. The angle of the shot just adds to its strength derived from the shapes and the colour, particularly the reflection.

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Graham

Not so sure that the one on the park works. Because, I think, of the extremes of light and shade. The shadows at the bottom are pretty severe.Also, I think it needs a clockwise rotation to get things straightened up.

On the other hand. That one of the waterfront is a beauty. The angle of the shot just adds to its strength derived from the shapes and the colour, particularly the reflection.
    Great comments, shows how others see things, just what I like. I so want to understand how others see things and what they look for. So thanks for your input.
    I love the rural one cos of the light and shade, the framing effect of the logs.
    Actually the horizon is straight, check out the orientation of the trees. It's the far side of the small lake, left side nearest and moving further away as you traverse right.

The second one is an iconic one of Vancouver, 5mp bridge camera.

The original sky was black so I took a day time one with good tonal texture, BW and then inverted the layer. Masking to match and altering opacity a little. A very early work.
    I think the angles are similar to the rural shot.

Graham

I think the first one may look better if you cropped away that 'heavy' area on the bottom. Possibly use a 5 x 4 ratio, or even square might work.