Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Alligators...

Real Name
    Joe

Alligators...

These were taken last fall/winter with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 10X opitical zoom. C&C appreciated.

Alligators...

Alligators...

Alligators...

Alligators...

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Alligators...

The first time I saw an alligator in real life was whenI was fishing in Florida. They looked exactly like this with just portions of their body visible. As a kid from New York City, these big beasts scared the heck out of me. However, I soon got used to seeing them and was never eaten by one.

Real Name
    Bobo

I applaud your courage AND good sense not to get too close. Nice shots given the conditions.

Real Name
    John Wright

Lol..Bobo - Looks pretty close to me, especially the third one. How close were you Joe and I assume you were you in the Everglades in a boat ? They're very good shots.

We went on a boat trip through the Everglades and they came right up to the boat and the guide told us not to put our hands over the side- I don't think anyone needed to be told lol . Seems they love marshmallow (we pronounce it 'mellow). They probably like the sweetness. The guide's buddy lost a finger to one, it bit through the bone and the resulting infection was very bad.

Real Name
    Joe

These were taken at Circle Bar B Preserve in Polk County, Florida. The nature preserve has a walking trail that is built up above Lake Hancock on one side and a marsh on the other side with culverts to allow the water to pass from one to the other. In the winter months the alligators move from the lake to the marsh side because it is warmer. Once the sun is up they are normally laying in the sun to get warm. Most were about one hundred feet from the trail. They move slower in the winter because they are cold and trying to warm themselves. The first frost here in central Florida knocks down the vegitation making them easier to see. This year I have the new Nikon dslr and lenses so I am hoping to get better pictures. I will post them if I do.

These are OK as far as they go, Joe, but what we really want is a close shot with it's mouth open so we can count the teeth.

Real Name
    Joe

Geoff, I shall try to get that shot this winter. If so I shall post it with...Attention Geoff.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Is this one close enough?

Alligators...

Oh wait! You said teeth!

Real Name
    John Wright

Thanks for the info. Not so bad then-100ft.