Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Tunnel

The Tunnel

New to posting/uploading pics to this site and this format/hosting etc..

So i'll trial...maybe an error!!

[IMG]The Tunnel[/IMG]
    Last edited by LCC; 21st April 2009 at 12:46 PM. Reason: nope couldn't work it out...Okay I did :-)

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: The Tunnel

Well done on the inline display.

Easiest way is to simply hit the "Insert Image" button on the toolbar and paste the URL in to the box that pops up

Seems like a World War I/II secret passage , what is it ?

~Ajith

Real Name
    Kori

Now this is a cool picture!
    Where was this taken?

Kori

Quote Originally Posted by batman44 View Post
    Now this is a cool picture!
    Where was this taken?
    Kori
    This may not be the answer but I'm reminded of the ku chi tunnels in Vietnam

http://anthormiga.blogspot.com/2007/...i-tunnels.html

Roxy

Colin,
    Thanks, took a few attempts but funally got it sorted.

Ajith/Kori,
    It's actually a rail line tunnel for trams not trains, it is small, but the wide angle lense makes it appear smaller than in reality.Finished in 1901 it was used for saw mills soft wood transportation and the tracks were removed 1934.

It's in small country town Canungra, about 30klms west of the Gold Coast QLD.

I have a photo of the inside looking out I like I'll post soon

L.

[IMG]The Tunnel[/IMG]

Okay, question time.

I'll explain something before I ask the questions.

This photo was taken on Raw as I normally do.Changed it to Jpeg because my wireless broadband is slow.So it went from a 9meg to 3meg file.
    I only had my camera with me and noticed the lens was a tad dusty, and wasn't going to clean it with my t-shirt.

So, while Raw, only did a slight PP on cs2 due to the fact I liked the way the tunnel entrance gave a natural vignette affect, maybe just personal.

Whilst still in Raw format and also Jpeg when you open it to full pixel size it is very grainy, also coloured specks.It was like this before any PP.

Was it the dust? Or something else?
    Suggestions???

L.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by LCC View Post
    I only had my camera with me and noticed the lens was a tad dusty, and wasn't going to clean it with my t-shirt.

So, while Raw, only did a slight PP on cs2 due to the fact I liked the way the tunnel entrance gave a natural vignette affect, maybe just personal.

Whilst still in Raw format and also Jpeg when you open it to full pixel size it is very grainy, also coloured specks.It was like this before any PP.

Was it the dust? Or something else?
    Suggestions???
    Hi Liam,

First up, it's not dust - if you want to try an experiment one day, cut out a piece of paper a few mm square and put that on the front element of the lens and see if you can see it through the viewfinder - dust has no chance of showing.

What you've got here is classic shadow noise - This is a very contrasty scene; the highlights are already blown - and it also requires that one "dig deep" into the shadows to reveal shadow details - only problem is, by shooting it at ISO 1600 you've reduced the dynamic range of your sensor by around 2 1/2 stops - so the shadow detail that you need is now buried along with the (increased) noise - so what you've seeing here is 1/2 shadow detail, 1/2 noise.

Solution would have been to put the camera on a tripod - stuck with 100ISO and shot on manual exposure (to reveal more and cleaner shadows) - but to get the best out of it you'd probably need to take 2 or 3 bracketed shots and combine them into an HDR image. Rather than have the camera use F13 @ 1/160th @ ISO 1600, I'd have gone for F11 @ 1/20th @ ISO 200 (for the shadows) and possibly something like F11 @ 1/80th @ ISO 200 for the sky & trees.

Does this help, or have I gone too technical, again
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 22nd April 2009 at 05:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Does this help, or have I gone too technical, again
    Cheers Colin,

Makes sense, and i'll try your suggestion.I was on my road bike so a tripod was not an option, it was merely just a happy snap. :-)

Have been having a dab at HDR of late so here's another good subject to retry.

Thank you.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by LCC View Post
    I was on my road bike so a tripod was not an option
    There's always room for a tripod