Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Pier

Real Name
    Bobo

Pier

Seem to have caught the bug for night photography.

Pier

Pier

Pier

Pier

Real Name
    John

Re: Pier

The first one looks good with some recognizable structures, the second seems to have focused on the handrail. The fourth could be a good source of patterns if you crop it a little tighter.

Real Name
    Graham Heron

I like the second wrt the colours reflected far left, third one loses the impact (same position) as it's too hot. BUT, that hint of light central in the third I like. Would love to see a little more in the night sky, but you may have lost it in these smaller JPEG's.
    Graham H

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks John - yes #2 is focused on the rail. I do not yet know how to get both a close by and far off structure into focus.

Thanks Graham - apart from what was behind me there were only 3 sources of light - the 2 piers and lights of another township behind the hills in the center. Yes it is somewhat hot but not quite blown due to trying to give the exposure enough time to catch the far off lights. It is cropped this way because I had to remove a railing from the front and showing more of the sky would have unbalanced the pic. Should have extended the tripod's center column over the railing before taking the shot.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I wondered if we need all the dark space at the left hand side on #1? There certainly needs to be some. But if you took it to a 5:4 ratio, you would still have that, buy more attention would focus on the building and, particularly, that wonderful reflection.

I think the focus being on the handrail in #2 is right. I'm noe sure it would have worked so well if you'd focused on the far building and has the rail out-of-focus.

I'm not so keen on #3 as it feels like two images in the sense that my eyes have to jump across the image from one side to the other.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Donald. I have to start experimenting with other crop factors.

The placement in 3 is not ideal I know. Was hoping to take the shot from the midpoint between the 2 piers. There was also an old style Chinese fishing junk moored next to the left pier which may have made a nice foreground. But the middle area had a few couples there and I did not wish to disturb their romancing