Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Some different lighting options, for me at least.

Real Name
    Brian

Some different lighting options, for me at least.

All comments and suggestions welcome. Post processing was pretty limited in these. Mostly just looking for some lighting options.

Homework (ISO 3200 f2.8)
    I.... like this one. Lighting is self explanatory

Light Test Lens Flare
    I know the focus and pose aren't great What do you think of the lighting though?
    One flash is camera left shooting through an umbrella. A second bare flash is located behind just barely out of the frame on camera right.
    This one I like though the light seems just a bit harsh on the subjects left side. Perhaps the exposure is a bit overdone?

Light Test
    Once again I know the focus and pose aren't great, just looking at the light. I told my son he could keep whittling while I tested some lighting on him!
    One flash is camera left again with the umbrella, a second directly behind subject's head, and a third bare flash to camera right, just trying to fill in some shadows and create some separation from the background.
    This one seems OK to me, though I'm not sure there is quite enough shadow/contrast on the face. The exposure seems pretty good to me.

Thanks for viewing!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Some different lighting options, for me at least.

Now, I'm not the best person in the world to be commenting on lighting set-ups. So, with that caveat in place ............

I think 'directly behind' (as in #3) lighting can work sometimes, but, for soem reason not here. Is the back light too powerful? Maybe if it was less powerful?

Compare that with the light on his hair from the back-right unit in #2 and, in my opinion, it's a world of difference. There's a much softer edge to that light on his hair and on his shoulder that works much better.

And, as you say, lighting in #1 is self-explanatory. And it's wonderful. An image full of atmosphere.

Now I'll stand aside and let those who actually know about lighting set-ups come in.

Real Name
    Jim

I don't know a thing about setting up lighting so I can only tell what image appeals most to me -#1 by a mile.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by jambin View Post
    I don't know a thing about setting up lighting so I can only tell what image appeals most to me -#1 by a mile.
    Jim, sounds like you already know the most important thing about lighting

Donald, thank you for your comments

I like #1 best too, BUT I don't think that will work for my senior photos assignment.!

Real Name
    Thierry

#1 for me even with the noise induced by High iso value

Real Name
    Terry

Hi Brian!

I'm really interested in your thread here. Would you happen to remember how you had your lights set (i.e. power settings)?

I have the feeling that #3 is closer to what you were going for. I think you have a good point about the lighting being a bit too harsh on the subject's left (camera right) on #2.

I wonder if you got your rim lighting a little higher and either softened it or powered down a bit would it be any better? Of the last two, I think #3 works best. The fill made a nice difference in the harshness of the shadows.

Keep posting, man! I'm living vicariously here!

Real Name
    Brian

Thanks Thierry!
    Terry, I hadn't thought of higher, good idea. All the flashes used were totally manual. Distance or power modification do the same thing.