Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Looking for Assistance

Real Name
    Warren

Looking for Assistance

I was down at the river and caught this picture. I didn't have my shutter speed set right, so I didn't catch it how I would like. Is there anything out there that would sharpen this up? It's a special image, not often seen, and I'd love to get it cleaned up.

Looking for Assistance

I had watched the eagle on the left swoop down and "torment" another eagle sitting on the cement ledge. I didn't know what I really had until I got home and zoomed in. The eagle on the right had jumped up and flipped over!

Looking for Assistance

Thanks for any tips. This is the photo I've been waiting for!

Real Name
    Mike

Re: Looking for Assistance

Hi Warren,

Interesting shots, and good job capturing the fight...

We get (literally) hundreds of Bald Eagles here in the valley each year, as they
    come to feed on the post-spawn salmon, of which there are a few hundred [stinking]
    carcasses of on my beach right now. Hopefully they will show up soon, as the seagulls,
    raccoons, crows, ravens, skunks and possum are just not eating them fast enough to
    keep the stink down..

I use Lightroom 3.5, and did the best I could with both of them. The upside down eagle
    is serious about causing some damage to the other bird, as that is why they flip over in order
    to use their claws as aerial weapons. I've also seen them take ducks right out of the air in
    the same manner.

According to the EXIF data, they were both shot at 300mm and ISO 1600, and I can
    tell you've already cropped them a bit, so there really wasn't a lot of "wiggle room"
    for added sharpening without creating excess noise. Still, the histogram looked good, and
    adding some contrast and increasing the sharpness a little bit might have helped some.

6z6agp-3.jpg

15h24p0-2.jpg

Your shutter speed was 1/1500s, so you might have been able to back the ISO down
    a bit, and use a little slower shutter, as most any speed over 1/400s-1/500s would probably be
    sufficient.

Hoping that one of the other members using Photoshop will give them a try
    also, as I'm just not that good with Lightroom (yet)..

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
    Hoping that one of the other members using Photoshop will give them a try also, as I'm just not that good with Lightroom (yet)..
    Nope. Unless someone comes along to prove me wrong, I think you've probably got it as good as it's going to get, Mike.

Real Name
    Warren

Mike, thank you for the "fixes". The first photo is the original, with the second being cropped. Which program do you use to edit? I played with them with the available tools I have and could not get it as clear as you did. I am very impressed.

As for the slower shutter speed, I will play around with that the next time I'm down on the river. I just assumed that I would need a faster setting for the in-flight pictures. I had tried backing off on the ISO, to 800, and the pictures were too dark on this particular day, very overcast. The weather has not been cooperating much lately, and today they are calling for 3-6 inches of snow! Come on, it's still October!!

Thanks again for your help.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by wegriffith3 View Post
    Mike, thank you for the "fixes". The first photo is the original, with the second being cropped. Which program do you use to edit? I played with them with the available tools I have and could not get it as clear as you did. I am very impressed.

As for the slower shutter speed, I will play around with that the next time I'm down on the river. I just assumed that I would need a faster setting for the in-flight pictures. I had tried backing off on the ISO, to 800, and the pictures were too dark on this particular day, very overcast. The weather has not been cooperating much lately, and today they are calling for 3-6 inches of snow! Come on, it's still October!!

Thanks again for your help.
    I hope the trees have shed their leaves then. Don't want any power lines coming down due to the heavy snow.

Real Name
    Warren

Hi John, sounds like you've been down this way. Today could make for an awesome picture of an eagle sitting in a tree with the snow coming down around it.

Which brings me to my question.....to shoot on a day like today, what is available to protect the camera? Snowing pretty hard, would be great for shooting deer as well.

How do you all protect your camera on inclement weather days?

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by wegriffith3 View Post
    Hi John, sounds like you've been down this way. Today could make for an awesome picture of an eagle sitting in a tree with the snow coming down around it.

Which brings me to my question.....to shoot on a day like today, what is available to protect the camera? Snowing pretty hard, would be great for shooting deer as well.

How do you all protect your camera on inclement weather days?
    Warren,

It depends on what's coming down, if it's snow you can probably get by with keeping the body in a plastic bag with the lens slightly protruding through an opening. I try to keep the camera as warm as possible in winter to prolong battery life. With rain, you need a good overall cover especially if you wear eyeglasses.