Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Panoramic Western Australia

Real Name
    Karl

Panoramic Western Australia

Hi all,

New to this site - so I thought I would put up some of my photos.

These are my attempts at panoramas and are taken here in Western Australia.

Comments welcomed.

Karl

This 'The Pinnacles' at Nambung National Park located about 2 hours north of Perth.

Bussleton Jetty - Busselton is located 2 1/2 hours south of Perth

Island Rock Zyptdorp Cliffs Kalbarri - about 6 hours north of Perth

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: Panoramic Western Australia

Hi Karl and welcome to CiC from a fellow Aussie.

That's a nice set of panoramas you've posted. I think #3 is my favourite but they are all good images.

Are they several images stitched together or just single images cropped into a wide format ?

Cheers Dave

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I think these demonstrate a good eye for composition. Right away, I am struck by the balanced nature of the composition and the fact that all the elements 'fit' together harmoniously.

I think one of the challenges for us is to always get ourselves in the right place at the right time. I'm not sure that any of these are helped by the lighting conditions present at the time, apart maybe from #2, but that too might have benefited from being taken later with a much longer exposure.

And I wonder, for example, if The Pinnacles would have been a better image taken much earlier or later (not sure which direction we're in this one) when the shadows would have been longer and a better light would have been hitting onto the sides of the stones.
    Last edited by Donald; 29th October 2011 at 09:11 AM.

Real Name
    John

Very nice images.

Real Name
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    And I wonder, for example, if The Pinnacles would have been a better image taken much earlier or later (not sure which direction we're in this one) when the shadows would have been longer and a better light would have been hitting onto the sides of the stones.
    Hi all,

Thanks for your comments it is appreciated.

Donald you are correct in suggesting that early or later would have been better unfortunately this national park is only open between 9:00 am and 4:00pm so it is very hard getting the good light plus I had to wait for all the tourists to get out of my shots as this one (the Pinnacles) is five shots stitched together. It was about 10:00am when I took shots and a very bright day with little cloud in the sky - just tried to do my best

I was hoping to do a sunset shot but I wasn't allowed to (not famous enough - yet ) especially as the ocean isn't too far away - maybe one day.

Dave, all of these are serveral shots stitched together. The Jetty is about seven shots, Island Rock is five shots and the Pinnacles is five shots and I use PSE7 but have just upgraded to PSE9.

Karl

Real Name
    Bobo

Wish I could compose like you have. Well done and love the pics.

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Love 2.
    Agree with comments about 1 and 3, and commiserate about the allocated times. Perhaps we should all band together and try to get them (parks, limited access areas) open occasionally especially for photo enthusiasts.

I use PSE 7. I also love the scene cleaner function (File>New>Scene Cleaner).
    Set camera on tripod (and if memory serves me right, even that's not strictly necessary, merely advisable), take several pics. Touristy people move around so select areas based on people NOT being there compared to another pic when people ARE there.
    Hey presto, people gone. Can save time waiting in one place for ages until they disappear.
    Main disadvatage is that it takes post processing time.
    Main advantage - people free shots just about anywhere you wish and a happier companion who didn't have to wait with you.

Graham H