Thread: Teleconverter

Real Name
    Peter Hilton

Teleconverter

What would be the advantages/ disadvantages of using a 2x teleconverter with my Nikon 70-300 Lens? If I purchase a Nikkon unit will all functionality of the lens be retained?

These converters appear to be approximately half of the price of a Sigma 150-500 lens which is an advantage in its self. Also the total weight of the camera, lens and converter would be less than that of the body and the Sigma lens.

A lot of my time is spent in hides where the weight of the equipment is less important but I do like to get my boots on and walk the paths in search of my bird/wildlife targets.

All opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Teleconverter

Depending on camera model and light levels, you might lose AF ability due to the resulting lens aperture, as the teleconverter would double the f/ number.

Real Name
    Martyn

another question is can your lens take a converter ? some lenses like the 18-200mm cant take a converter,i use a x2 nikkor with a 2.8 70-200mm, i can still use all the functions inc AF,as already stated the x2 doubles up the F stop so my 2.8 becomes F5.6 which is no big deal, at one stage i had a x2 with sigma 50-500 and F8 became F16 which was pretty useless for anything that moved and also showed up every bit of camera shake.another point is that sigma and nikkor converters only work on their own brands,you cant interchange,cheers martyn

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

I understand that, there are presently three Nikon 70 -300 lenses:

AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED (Type AF-S Lens)
    AF Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6D ED (Type D Lens)
    AF Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G (Type G Lens)

I believe that NONE is "compatible" and NONE will "work" with any of the three Nikon Teleconvertors: TC-14; TC-17; TC20, nor with their three respective MkII models.

("NOT COMPATIBLE" and "WILL NOT WORK" is Nikon terminology - so they might "fit and mount to the lens" - I am not sure).

You might find that third party teleconvertors might mount and might "work": but giving up two stops of lens speed (for ANY x2 convertor) - you will have a F/9 to F/11 varying maximum aperture zoom; and I doubt will have any AF no matter what Nikon body you have and also you will have a very dark viewfinder so Manual Focus might be difficult.

Short answer: - waste of money for that lens, IMO.

WW

Real Name
    Martyn

i used to own the middle lens,i think when nikon says they are not compatible with any of the above lenses they mean that converters wont actually fit onto the lens due to how the end glass is so close to the coupling,that was the case with the middle lens,it wouldnt physically fit,cheers martyn

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by Nomadr View Post
    i used to own the middle lens,i think when nikon says they are not compatible with any of the above lenses they mean that converters wont actually fit onto the lens due to how the end glass is so close to the coupling,that was the case with the middle lens,it wouldnt physically fit,cheers martyn
    Thanks for that first hand info - I think you are correct about what Nikon means.

But it has been a long time since I used Nikon and I didn't want to state definitely that they "would not fit" as I was only working from My Nikon Data Sheets, which are still sent to me.

WW

Real Name
    Martyn

hehe i didnt want to mention it in my first post neither,just in case nikon had brought out a new type of 70-300 2.8 or something.cheers martyn ps beechdale basher i can post a couple of pics of the inside of the 70-200 and the x2 to show why they wont fit onto the 70-300 if you like ?

Real Name
    Peter Hilton

Thanks Martin that would be very useful.

It does not seem logical to me that companies manufacture equipment that is not compatible with other parts of their current range.

Thanks to everyone for their comments. It looks as though I will have to go down the route of the Sigma 150-500mm or the Nikkon 80-400mm.

BB

Real Name
    Peter Hilton

Hi everyone,

I have just received a full lens/ compatibility chart from Nikkon.

I will upload it on to this forum if anyone wants or can make use of it.

Real Name
    Richard

You might consider the Sigma 120-400mm f/4.5-5.6 AF APO DG OS HSM lens. Donald has one and seems to be quite happy with it. He posted this great geese image using his new lens: The Barnacles arriving on the Solway

Here in the USA, the Sigma 120-400mm lens is less than 2/3 the price of either the Nikon or Canon 100-400mm equivalents. I would expect that the price differential would also pertain to UK purchasing...

If I did not have a couple of long Canon primes, I would seriously consider the Sigma.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by beechdale basher View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have just received a full lens/ compatibility chart from Nikkon.

I will upload it on to this forum if anyone wants or can make use of it.
    Hi Peter,

Can you remind me which camera this is for?
    As you may see from a chart, the 80-400mm won't AF on many models (e.g. D40, D60, D3000/3100, D5000/5100)

Cheers,

Real Name
    Peter Hilton

Hi Dave,

I use a Nikkon D90

Thanks