Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Wide format printers.

Real Name
    Mark

Wide format printers.

If you were going to buy a wide format printer what would it be? I'm talking A1 (24") not 60 inches. There is a massive price differential between prices in NZ and the USA. I've heard all the economies of scale and backup stories ... blah, blah, blah. When a printer costs $2500 in the states and the equivalent price here is double, then my finely tuned BS meter starts hitting the red.

The 3 brands seem to be Epson, HP and Canon. I had a good look at the HP3200Z, but I'm leaning towards the Epson 7890. I wonder whether taking a punt and importing one from the USA might be worthwhile. I have imported a very high end cd player which I use with a stepdown transformer and it works just fine. I'm assuming a 110V printer will work ok here (220V) with a suitable transformer.

Ok, Colin - that's you cue!

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Wide format printers.

Quote Originally Posted by Markvetnz View Post
    If you were going to buy a wide format printer what would it be? I'm talking A1 (24") not 60 inches. There is a massive price differential between prices in NZ and the USA. I've heard all the economies of scale and backup stories ... blah, blah, blah. When a printer costs $2500 in the states and the equivalent price here is double, then my finely tuned BS meter starts hitting the red.

The 3 brands seem to be Epson, HP and Canon. I had a good look at the HP3200Z, but I'm leaning towards the Epson 7890. I wonder whether taking a punt and importing one from the USA might be worthwhile. I have imported a very high end cd player which I use with a stepdown transformer and it works just fine. I'm assuming a 110V printer will work ok here (220V) with a suitable transformer.

Ok, Colin - that's you cue!
    Hi Mark,

I use the Epson 7800. When I knew I wanted to do canvases I did a LOT of reading up -- from what I read I thought the Canon and the HP COULD do a good job, but I KNEW the Epson WOULD.

Funny you should mention printing right now though - it's 11:19pm and I'm having one heck of a battle with the printer right now. Just for the record, the printer is fine (it's just doing what it's told) - it's the canvas profile I'm having all sorts of issues with (darn colorimeter I suspect) (driving me nuts) (wasted about 1/2 role of canvas getting it right!).

If you do go with the Epson, don't use Epson ink if you're doing any kind of volume - Epson carts are $250 - Lyson ones are about $70 (from the UK) - and Lyson is better!

But to answer the question, it really depends on how much printing you want to do, and what size - if you're just after a few canvases then probably easier for me to do them

Real Name
    Mark

Thanks Colin.

There is a 7800 on TM at the moment, but I always worry about 2nd had. You never know if it has been flogged or not.

Cheers

Mark

Real Name

Thanks Colin.

There is a 7800 on TM at the moment, but I always worry about 2nd had. You never know if it has been flogged or not.

Cheers

Mark
    Yeah you do -- they have life counters for everything, which you can access from the front panel

Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Yeah you do -- they have life counters for everything, which you can access from the front panel
    So you are saying I can know exactly how much printing it has done??

Real Name

So you are saying I can know exactly how much printing it has done??
    Yes - just go into Printer Status -> Total Prints, and Printer Status -> Life Counters. Mine has done 1547 Pages, and all the life counters are still at 100% apart from the suction unit (80%) and cutter (60%).

They're designed to handle a hard life.