Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Self Portrait - Something Different

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Self Portrait - Something Different

This will be the first time I've posted in this area of the forum. I'm usually doing landscape photography but I saw this type of self portrait done on an internet post and decided to try it. I immediately decided I would use the ranch where I grew up as the background....I want to be in my natural habitat. (It's also the ranch featured in my book.) Each image consists of six individual images. Three shots for an HDR background then three individual shots of me in different poses/positions. Many more shots were deleted in camera or later from the computer. It's a bit time consuming but was a fun project while I'm in northern California near the ranch. I went from RAW to JPEG, used Photomatix for the HDR background and overlaid the images in Paint Shop Pro Photo, then, being unable to control myself I ran it through Topaz Adjust to wring all the character out of the charater I could. I used Canon 5d Mk II and the 24-105 lens for all.

There's a lady photographer (in England I think) that does this kind of thing very well and is famous for it. She is a heck of a lot more aesthetic than I am and often poses in skimpy outfits for her self portraits. I thought I might strip down to my underware for one shot but I was on the ranch and it really spooked the cattle...almost had a stampede so I left the clothes on and we are all the better for it.

Chuck

[IMG]http://www.chucknelsonphotography.com/img/v8/p863514485-3.jpg[/IMG
    Last edited by CNelson; 20th April 2009 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Trying to post 3rd image

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Re: Self Portrait - Something Different

This is an attempt to get the third image to appear...I couldn't do it by editing the original post.

I like it a lot Chuck. Over my head a bit but I'll get around to trying that. Very interesting.

Colin

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

I think you will enjoy it Colin. Doing it in the country is an advantage as doing it on a city street could draw a small crowd. Fiddle with the camera, run and stand in a spot, fiddle with the camera run back out and stand in another spot, fiddle with the camera....etc.....

Then you take it all into your digital dark room and have your way with it.