Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Wandering By - A Morning Beach Scene

Real Name
    Robert Farkas

Wandering By - A Morning Beach Scene

Wandering By - A Morning Beach Scene

I've enjoyed this scene and was hoping for some suggestions from the group. The original was littered with people in the background, so this is a version 2 / non-original. I've also toyed with pushing in to knock down that morning sun, however it seemed to crowd my "wanderer" a bit. Thanks in advance for your help.

Real Name
    Mike

Re: Wandering By - A Morning Beach Scene

I've looked at this image several times now, and in each case my eyes seem to be
    instantly focused on the lady's feet and ankles..right one in the air and lower left leg
    seems to be bent at a strange angle ...

I would think the sitting child (cute) would be the main focus, but the lady with the
    baby takes over. Might be interesting to see a version with her removed, and just
    the child sitting and playing in the sand.

Also, you might want to level up the horizon a bit...seems a little tilted to the left.

Still, a nice capture!

Mike

I've looked at this image several times now, and in each case my eyes seem to be
    instantly focused on the lady's feet and ankles

Yes one leg seems to be larger, or much closer, than the other. A rather strange effect probably caused by the camera angle.

I wonder if slightly increasing the contrast on the sitting child might help to 'compete' more with the woman passing by.

I think you only have two options with the sun area. Leave it alone or totally clone it out. Either will work so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Real Name
    Mike

Rob, hope it was OK, but I saved your image and worked with it a bit to see if I could
    find any improvements. What I wound up with was a image of just the little one playing in
    the sand, as no matter what I did with the lady w/baby she was still the main element
    in the pic, and the little one in the sand seemed to add more character. I cropped out
    the walking lady and removed her shadow, and then added a little fill light to enhance
    the scene.

Cropped to 8x10:

iqlpv8-3.jpg

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Tom

I really like the original shot. Interesting comp and Its not the sort of image you see every day, which is a good thing imo.

Lovely B+W by the way....

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I note the comments made, but I really, really like this. I think the vision is brilliant and has produced a unique attention-grabbing image.

I think I'd maybe try straightening the horizon to see if that works - only because seeing it sloping right to left is a bit distracting. But, note the use of the term 'a bit'. The overall strength of the image outweighs that point and if straightening the horizon weakened other elements in the image, I'd leave it.

The other thing I wondered about was a ever-so-slight dodge on the face of the woman, just to introduce a bit more detail? I'd like to try that just to assess the effect.

Real Name
    Robert Farkas

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
    instantly focused on the lady's feet and ankles..right one in the air and lower left leg
    seems to be bent at a strange angle ...

I would think the sitting child (cute) would be the main focus, but the lady with the
    baby takes over. Might be interesting to see a version with her removed, and just
    the child sitting and playing in the sand.

Also, you might want to level up the horizon a bit...seems a little tilted to the left.

Still, a nice capture!

Mike
    Thanks Mike, appreciate feedback; you're a wizard in the digital darkroom, exciting stuff and your reduced version makes for a whole new image. Thanks!

Real Name
    Robert Farkas

Quote Originally Posted by MrGladstone View Post
    I really like the original shot. Interesting comp and Its not the sort of image you see every day, which is a good thing imo.

Lovely B+W by the way....
    Very much appreciate the kind words; my subject doesn't sit still for long so it's a relief when the results come together.

Real Name
    Robert Farkas

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I note the comments made, but I really, really like this. I think the vision is brilliant and has produced a unique attention-grabbing image.

I think I'd maybe try straightening the horizon to see if that works - only because seeing it sloping right to left is a bit distracting. But, note the use of the term 'a bit'. The overall strength of the image outweighs that point and if straightening the horizon weakened other elements in the image, I'd leave it.

The other thing I wondered about was a ever-so-slight dodge on the face of the woman, just to introduce a bit more detail? I'd like to try that just to assess the effect.
    Thank you Donald, very, very much appreciate the feedback! I'll see about adjusting it a bit and see where it takes the story.

Real Name
    Brian

Cool shot.
    Sure you could tweak a few things like shadows and horizons as mentioned or even question if the DOF is too shallow, but it really is a good shot just as it is!
    Thanks for posting.
    Last edited by speedneeder; 29th October 2011 at 03:46 AM.

Real Name
    Robert Farkas

Quote Originally Posted by speedneeder View Post
    Cool shot.
    Sure you could tweak a few things like shadows and horizons as mentioned or even question if the DOF is too shallow, but it really is a good shot just as it is!
    Thanks for posting.
    Thanks Brian - appreciate your feedback!