Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Canon 18-55mm kit lens alternative?

Real Name
    Andrew

Canon 18-55mm kit lens alternative?

Hi there,
    I've had my 450d for a few years now and added to my lens collection (nifty 50, Sigma 70-300mm...) but at Christmas last year the AF on my original kit lens, the 18-55mm stopped working. I've muddled along with it since then using manual but I would like to replace it. I like the range the 18-55 provides as a general walkabout lens. Should I simply get a new one or is there an alternative in to £150-300 area that I should consider?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Canon 18-55mm kit lens alternative?

I'm no Canon expert, but I'd suggest something faster, meaning f/2.8, but that may put it over budget

Real Name
    Mike

+1 a 2.8 zoom if you can find one. I've been considering one of the Tamron 17-50 2.8's in Nikon mount. Without IS(VC in Tamron jargon) for $459 usd, or with vc for $620 from B&H. They seem to be generally well regarded, fast and sharp.

Real Name
    Richard

IMO, the lens is the most important factor impacting image quality. I don't really have a handle on the prices of lenses on your side of the big pond but, I reviewed some completed prices on eBay UK.

If I were in your position, I would consider two alternatives, both of whicjh are within your budget:

1. Replacing the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Kit Lens - you obviously know the pros and cons of this lens
    or
    2. Purchasing a Tamron 17-55mm f/2.8 (non-VC)
    Doing a search of the recently completed Tamron 17-55mm f/2.8 (non-VC) lenses I came up with this information:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/csc/i.html?_nk..._dmd=1&_ipg=50

Of course, the Canon Kit lens has IS while the Tamron doesn't. However, the Tamron lens is a constant f/2.8 and Image Stabilization in that focal range is not crucial.

There is another alternative. Both Canon and Tamron have extended range zooms which might be in your price range. However I tend to stay away from lenses of the 18-135mm to 18-270mm range because they don't produce the quality I expect from my glass.

Sigma also has lenses in this focal range but, I have been burnt by a Sigma lens and tend to stay away from their products.

Real Name
    Robert S.

The Tamron 17-55mm f/2.8 is available as NON-IS (VC) and IS (VC) lense.

Here's a review:
    http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/48...750_28vc_canon

Personally I own a Tamron 17-55mm f/2.8 without IS (VC). AF is pretty fast although it has only a conventional AF motor (no USM). The bokeeh of the lense is pretty good. At image corners the lense tends to be a little softer, especially at 50mm. And of course with f/2.8 it is pretty fast for a "consumer" lense.

Robert