Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Lyme Park

Lyme Park

We had a very nice day out at Lyme Park in Cheshire today. The sunlight was a little harsh but I will post a few snaps anyway. I have only had time to process a few so far so I may post more at a later date. C and C welcome.

Lyme Park

Lyme Park

Lyme Park

Lyme Park

Lyme Park

Lyme Park

Lyme Park

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Lyme Park

Hi Steve,

I do appreciate you've not spent much PP time on these, but here's what I think.

#1; nice black and white shot, good lighting - if mine I might try a subtle blur brush over the detail above the far fence, just to keep viewer's focus (groan) on the sharp railings (groan 2).

#2; good use of the harsh sunlight, this works for me because of the tree shadows intersecting the diagonal rows of trees and saplings in their 'cages'.

#3; a very good, well exposed, landscape, sharp, nice reflections, gorgeous!

#4; nice contrasty silhouette of gate or railings, although I think I'd have cloned out, or at least 'burned', to reduce the brightness of, those bits of litter(?) top left.

#5; you're not quite square to the tower/chimney* and possibly as a result, the top isn't quite horizontal - but it could also be a lens thing, like the effect on my first Marlow Bridge shot.
    * It may have been impossible to get square for all I know and for what it's worth, I took a photo yesterday morning, intending to get two semicircles (near and far) co-incident and then didn't even though that was the whole point
    I digress, back to your pic; I might also have cloned out that black blob of moss or whatever on the roof, it distracts a little.
    Other than that, technically the shot fine and has nice colours.

The last two are good record shots taken under tricky lighting conditions and they have good perspective and are straight where they should be, I'm guessing you've done that in PP, in which case it's been done well, or if that's as shot then I'm really impressed.

Hope those comments help and thanks for sharing; it always does me good to analyse other's photos. My favourite is #3.

Best regards,

Hi Wirefox,

I'm not very technical, but #1 and #3 are my favourite. #1 - the photo is such a simple photo - grass, a footpath and a fence, rather than being busy with all foreground objects. It really helps your eyes to focus on the fence. #3 - The reflections as Dave said, look awesome. They really make this picture what it is.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Dan, the pool is actually constructed to reflect Lyme Park House so I guess it is doing its job pretty well after all these years. The inflow and outflow are on vert shallow gradient so that the agitation in the pool is kept to a minimum. See example below;

Lyme Park
    PS I may get rid of the branches at a later date. I am undecided.

Dave

Some very good critique. I will try the blur brush. The gate railings did give me a headache because I liked the idea but could not quite get the effect. I will have a play with this image and some of my other railing shots. The tower shot is a result of lens distortion. The image you see is cropped so it did not quite work (I need glass and I need it bad). The last 2 were taken off a monopod the only pp they have had is levels and sharpening. I cannot quite get the hang of the perspective tool in GIMP. I will practice on the tower

I think the branches give the building character - without it, it completely changes the scene. I covered the branches with my hand and it gives it a much happier appearance (in my opinion anyway), but with the trees, it gives it more of a dark appearance. Dunno if I'm making sense but that's just my thoughts on it. It also could be the darkness of the branches? I dunno... The river reflects Lyme Park House beautifully and from seeing the photos, it looks like it would be a lovely place to visit.

Nice patterns and good capture .
    For 6th and 7th pic I like it in wide angle (2:1 or similar)

~Ajith

Thanks Ajith. I have a personal preference for simple images with texture when I can make them work. I was quite pleased with 6 and 7 fom this point of view.
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 22nd April 2009 at 07:31 PM. Reason: "or" -> "for"