Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: going away

Real Name
    Angelo Walter

going away

hi,
    after a journey in Florence, waiting for the train to return at home, i taken this photo. i wish that it represents the idea of the travel

Walter

going away
    Partenza P9042184_F di 'bigpapo' © AngeloWalter Brandi, su Flickr
    Last edited by bigpapo; 23rd October 2011 at 02:16 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: going away

Angelo

I see from the EXIF data on the image, that the shutter speed was 1/25th.

I think there is a bit of movement blur around the edges of the woman walking away from us and I wonder if the image would have been stronger if she had been sharp? Perhaps you wanted to to introduce this slight blur.

I like the idea of the image and the composition.

Yes I agree with Donald. The destination board and middle distance seems to be sharper than the foreground.

I think I would prefer it to be the other way, with a sharp foreground (woman and posts) fading into the distance.

Real Name
    Angelo Walter

thanks for your comments.
    i have taken this photo "at the fly" so the result is not optimal, but i like the sense of movement.
    ciao...

hi bigpapo,
    i am new to all this but would actually say that i prefer it the way it is. the woman being blurred adds to the fact that she is walking away, like fading out of memory. it adds a melancholic feel to it i think. the monochrome gives it a nice touch. very nice shot.
    joropa

Real Name
    Angelo Walter

Real Name
    Ian

Its a great idea. I dont mind the movement of the woman, in fact slightly more movement might help further!

However, the burnt out centre of the shot spoils it for me; It is the focal point, but there is nothing there and whilst it doesnt need to be in focus, the track leading into the distance, I feel would just add to the feel of 'travel and journey' but it is just too bright for my liking.

You might also get away with a slight crop off both sides to take the eye closer into the woman, but leaving the frame of the gate which is great. (Also takes out the sharp '10' on the board).

Just my tu'pence for what its (not) worth!

Real Name
    Kevin

My thoughts mirror Ian's. I like the soft focus-emphasizes the ambiguity and imprecise perceptions of strangers. I would have loved to seen a less exposed image to minimize the blown area centrally, and dont think the increased silhouetting of the foreground figures would have compromised too much. But all so easy in retrospect. Nice concept attempt

kevin

Real Name
    Angelo Walter

thanks to all...As you can imagine, i have had no much time to reason before taken the photo....few time and the girl was gone behind the automatic gate. But according to your comments, i have revisited the original photo..... more sharpness and another cut, little differences.
    Walter
    going away