Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Mirror, mirror on the wall...why can't you be level.

Real Name
    Robert Farkas

Mirror, mirror on the wall...why can't you be level.

My dilemma: The mirror is not hanging level on the wall and because it's at the top of the frame it's noticeable - I think it's throwing off the works (there actually appears to be three levels in the room; the stove, the left most chair and the mirror). When I level the mirror, the table and chairs look like they're listing to the right. (For what's worth, and I haven't returned to confirm it, however I don't think the floor's level).

I don't have photoshop, however if I did, for those experienced in that medium could the mirror be 'lifted' and replaced level? Not a how-to question, rather a what-if. Thanks for the help (and the Adobe shareholders may be thanking you as well if the answer is what I think it is).
    Last edited by PhotoRob; 22nd October 2011 at 02:39 AM.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: Mirror, mirror on the wall...why can't you be level.

Hi Robert

To be honest I don't think it's a problem. The mirror alignment doesn't really grab me in the eye. It's a nice warm image with all that wood and the lighting is effective IMO.

Cheers Dave

Real Name
    Bud Ralston

Robert:
    I wouldn't worry about the mirror. There is an almost surreal quality to the photo as it is. With the shadow and light on the floor board, the stove appears to be suspended in air, the leaning chair on the left and the slightly angled mirror adds to the effect. Looks like something out of the "Twilight Zone." Print, frame, and hang it!

Real Name
    Steve

I don't use photoshop for distortion but Helicon Filter 5.09, the later versions are rubbish. You cannot get everything straight but I could manage the mirror with horizontal perspective.

Real Name
    Steve

Robert, I suspect you are a perfectionist, but I can't see the problem here. Textures are fine (stove deserved more light though), front chair masterfully placed at an angle and mirror reveals what's behind the camera. Beautiful!

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Yes you could use PS to do this to the mirror. Dead Easy. And while you are at it, 'renovate' the chair; and then prop up a leg of the stove, for good measure. And that should make it sterile and nicely Ikean neat and symmetrical. Of course you will probably lose the real charm and rustic beauty of the shot you have framed. So, why would you want to bother? It is a lovely photo as is. Of course my opinions are skewed in that I belong to the minimalist PP 'touch up' camp. Do you want to share with me what you saw and made you want to reach for your camera? Or what you reckoned you could turn it into with lots of Photoshop manipulation? Others who prefer to use a strong pp intervention to tone things up will most likely disagree with me. So, I guess in the end it comes down to ' your photo, your call.' I thought it was good work. But yes, PS can do what you asked.
    old ucci

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Any better?

In Photoshop I just threw a quick selection around it - feathered it - duplicated the selected portion to a new layer - and then free-transformed it (rotate).

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Rob,

Could I ask what this is actually a shot of?

I could well believe it is model furniture in a doll's house, but I can't put my finger on why I think that.

If it is real, given the period of the furniture and stove, I would imagine that such an abode would be lit by a single, central 'gas' lamp (the sort with a mantle), so the stove being in shadow is fine by me. (although the shadows don't appear to match a single source, not unless it is very high)

Processing-wise therefore, I would actually reduce the exposure a little so that nothing is blown and possibly adjust the WB (white balance) to suit the room's supposed illumination source, by which I mean probably make it look more yellow than white, not adjust the WB to the light source.

If I have one crit, it is that I'd have liked to see more of waht's on the table by moving the nearest chair aside.

The mirror didn't bother me.

Am I making any sense?

Cheers,

Real Name
    Robert Farkas

Quote Originally Posted by ucci View Post
    Yes you could use PS to do this to the mirror. Dead Easy. And while you are at it, 'renovate' the chair; and then prop up a leg of the stove, for good measure. And that should make it sterile and nicely Ikean neat and symmetrical. Of course you will probably lose the real charm and rustic beauty of the shot you have framed. So, why would you want to bother? It is a lovely photo as is. Of course my opinions are skewed in that I belong to the minimalist PP 'touch up' camp. Do you want to share with me what you saw and made you want to reach for your camera? Or what you reckoned you could turn it into with lots of Photoshop manipulation? Others who prefer to use a strong pp intervention to tone things up will most likely disagree with me. So, I guess in the end it comes down to ' your photo, your call.' I thought it was good work. But yes, PS can do what you asked.
    old ucci
    Thanks, great point. The venue is actually the Tampa History Center; they allow kids to play 'little' house 'on the prairie and virtually all my other shots are of my daughter enjoying the setting. Lighting, lighting, lighting is what struck me and when the kids cleared, I siezed the moment.

I have much to learn and practice, so at this point 'lots' of manipulation, at least for me, constitutes a partial failure on my part to put the effort in on the front end. That said, nudging that mirror into a more upgright position is in my 'acceptable' column. Thanks again for comments, much, much appreciated!
    Last edited by PhotoRob; 23rd October 2011 at 01:22 AM.

Real Name
    Robert Farkas

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Any better?

In Photoshop I just threw a quick selection around it - feathered it - duplicated the selected portion to a new layer - and then free-transformed it (rotate).
    You're a wizard Colin, thanks for resampling and posting with that adjustment!

Real Name
    Robert Farkas

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Rob,

Could I ask what this is actually a shot of?

I could well believe it is model furniture in a doll's house, but I can't put my finger on why I think that.

If it is real, given the period of the furniture and stove, I would imagine that such an abode would be lit by a single, central 'gas' lamp (the sort with a mantle), so the stove being in shadow is fine by me. (although the shadows don't appear to match a single source, not unless it is very high)

Processing-wise therefore, I would actually reduce the exposure a little so that nothing is blown and possibly adjust the WB (white balance) to suit the room's supposed illumination source, by which I mean probably make it look more yellow than white, not adjust the WB to the light source.

If I have one crit, it is that I'd have liked to see more of waht's on the table by moving the nearest chair aside.

The mirror didn't bother me.

Am I making any sense?

Cheers,
    Thanks for the follow-up Dave, I always look forward to hearing from you. The venue is the Tampa History Center, the furnature is full size, and the room was shot 'as-is' in between kids (and adults) moving through the space.

When I return, if the foot traffic allows for it, I'll move things around a little and see how it turns out. Thanks again for the comments and suggestions, very good stuff.