Thread: Bummed Out

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Bummed Out

I don't get to shoot very often but I did get to shoot five model homes yesterday. They just didn't seem to be coming out clear enough in the LCD. I started testing and found that the Tokina 11-16mm which I use to shoot indoor pictures, wasn't auto-focusing. I tried to manual focus but my eyes aren't as sharp as they once were and the normal lens just doesn't hack it for many indoor situations.

Most of the shots were too far out of focus to be usable. Today I did some testing and found the my D3100 doesn't recognize the Tokina as having auto-focus capability. When I called Adorama, they said 'over 30 days' call THK Photo Products in California at 800-421-1141. Peachy. I called and got a recorded message that there was a text message available for this phone number and for just $9 a month and I too, could find out what the message said. There were no other options.

I went to their web site where they said, in short, send us your lens and we will let you know what it will cost but you might not see your lens again for a couple of months.

I need to look for other options but at the moment I'm 'bummed out'!
    Last edited by FrankMi; 19th October 2011 at 06:55 PM.

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Bummed Out

I dont have any expertise in Nikon equipment but others on the internets are saying that the Tokina 11-16 is manual focus only on the D3100. You may want to do some internet searching yourself to verify before you ship your lens off.

-Paul

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Paul, I've been using it on Auto Focus for 6 months. This lens is manual only on a number of Nikon bodies but this one is (er, WAS) OK.

I'll try to reach THK again tomorrow as I don't really want to ship out the lens without confiming that there isn't something I can do or check first.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Hi Paul, I've been using it on Auto Focus for 6 months. This lens is manual only on a number of Nikon bodies but this one is (er, WAS) OK.
    I don't see how, neither the lens nor the D3100 has a focus motor in, as far as I know

This is the reason I haven't bought that lens for my D5000.

Unless you get real close, chances are you've been living off hyperfocal distance and not cropping and post down sized sharpening for your pictures until now.

It will AF on a D90, D7000 and above.
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 19th October 2011 at 11:38 PM.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Dave, my age and senility is showing. Looking at the web, you are correct. I didn't realize that and likely because my previous inside photography was HDR practice on a tripod, the aperture would not have been wide open as it was yesterday. That was probably the first time I used it in really low light conditions hand held.

Well, knowing that, I'm no longer bummed out, but I sure am embarrassed at not realizing that to begin with.

Paul, my apology, you were correct as well!

Thanks, Paul and Dave!

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Frank,

I'm not sure if this applies to Nikon (but it does to Canon) ...

Some Canon lenses (like the tilt/shift) series are manual focus only ... so although there's no auto-focus,THE FOCUS CONFIRMATION LIGHT STILL FUNCTIONS NORMALLY. So even when our eyes aren't 20/20 anymore, so long as we can see the selected AF point, we can get a focus confirmation when we've (manually) adjusted the focus correctly.

Same for Nikon perhaps?

Real Name
    Hero

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Same for Nikon perhaps?
    Yes, but on Nikons it can be quite fidgety to use, (at least on the D40 and D60) because it's in the lower-left corner of the viewfinder. It's kind of hard to see without taking your eye of the image.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    Yes, but on Nikons it can be quite fidgety to use, (at least on the D40 and D60) because it's in the lower-left corner of the viewfinder. It's kind of hard to see without taking your eye of the image.
    Now if that isn't the cat's meow! Thanks Colin and Hero. That may just solve a whole host of issues. I hadn't noticed that dot before even though I had read the manual from cover to cover when I got my camera. Searching again I see a small paragraph showing an 'in focus indicator' in the lower left hand corner of the viewfinder.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    I hadn't noticed that dot before even though I had read the manual from cover to cover when I got my camera. Searching again I see a small paragraph showing an 'in focus indicator' in the lower left hand corner of the viewfinder.
    Yes, it is VERY insignificant and when manual focusing I always forget to use it even though I know it is there

You'll notice I forgot to tell you about it too Frank

Currently I am training myself to use the back button (auto) focusing on D5000; that's a blessing (and a pain) at times, you need to press shutter button and back button in correct order or all you do is 'protect' the image you just took instead of focusing, then when you go to take the shot, it won't because it knows it is not in focus

Not sure if that's available on D3100, so perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned it.

Anyways, if you knew how close I came to accidentally buying a lens like that, you wouldn't feel so bad

Real Name
    Richard

I'm a Canon guy so I am just asking this for the information of my Nikon friends. It seems like there are frequent queries regarding the compatibility of Nikon mount lenses and the varous Nikon DSLR bodies because of the need for AF motors in lenses used with some bodies.

Is there a website somewhere which lists the interface between all Nikon mount lenses (OEM and 3rd party) and Nikon bodies? It seems that might be handy for Nikon shooters...

Real Name
    Ian

Richard,

The answer is yes, but I cant think where. I will go and have a look in Nikonians.........

Yup they have it for all Nikon lenses, but not for 3rd Party lenses, (well they probably have, but this was easy to find).

If you are not a member, send me a PM.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Is there a website somewhere which lists the interface between all Nikon mount lenses (OEM and 3rd party) and Nikon bodies? It seems that might be handy for Nikon shooters...
    Off memory, Ken Rockwell has one (I think I've referenced it here before, but don't ask me where!)

Edit: Found it ...

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 21st October 2011 at 10:16 PM.

Real Name
    Robin

Just out of curiosity, where did you buy the lens?

All self respecting stores would have told you at the point of sale that the lens you wanted would't work fully with your camera.....online maybe?

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Robin, online yes, from Adorama, but I don't blame them. It's my responsibility to do my own homework. I've really had no problems with it because, as Dave says, I'd been benefiting from hyperfocal distance. This was the first time I tried to use the lens wide open. Now that I know about the in-focus indicator I'll be fine.

Real Name
    George Montgomery

I'm glad I read this thread! I didn't know that you could use the green dot as an "in focus" indicator when using a manual focus lens. I just tried it with my 18-105mm kit lens set to manual focus. Cool. I'll try it on my next macro foray.

Real Name
    Richard

Sorry to ressurect a thread from last month but I just came upon this information on a DP Review site. Although this concerns the 12-24mm f/4 ATX Tokina; it may be handy for some Nikon owners to know:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/608...or-enthusiasts

"An alternative wide zoom option from Tokina is the AT-X Pro SD 12-24mm F4 (IF) DX, a superb performer with excellent sharpness and low distortion characteristics. Since its release it has been updated with a Mark II version, which makes use of new optical coatings and is primarily aimed at Nikon users whose DX-format bodies lack their own focusing motor - elsewhere the two lenses are virtually identical."

If a Nikon owner would like auto-focus on a Tokina wide angle zoom, the 12-24mm f/4 ATX might be worth considering. I love my Mk-i on my Canon 1.6x cameras. It has an added value for me since I use a converted Canon D60 (not the new 60D) for full time infrared. Although the 12-24mm lens is designed for the 1.6x format, it IS NOT an EFS lens and can be used on any 1.6x Canon body. It can also be used on 1.3x and full-frame bodies but will vignette at the widest focal lengths....
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 20th November 2011 at 10:17 PM.