Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Robot Invasion

Real Name
    Bill S

Robot Invasion

Ok - a quick break from the dive photos. My father-in-law bought a couple of these robot pieces from a toy art gallery recently and asked if I could take some photos of them. So with diminishing light and a full on attack by mosquitoes, I fired off some shots quickly.

This one was taken under a stone bench type thing they have in their garden next to their pond (the source of the mosquitoes). I had my father-in-law hand-holding the flash, and we ended up with this shot basically by accident - I hadn't told him where to position the flash, and so we kind of just got lucky with the strong side lighting in this one.

I probably should crop down slightly from the top to eliminate the shadow in the top right (coming from the seat of the bench that overhangs the vertical part I was using as my background here). But I think the biggest thing I dislike about this shot is the little robot - it obviously had fallen backwards and was leaning a bit, and I think just is a bit distracting.

However, what I think I like most is the strong side-lighting producing those dramatic shadows. The shadow hiding what is behind the archway is perfect in my opinion.

I'll probably reshoot this at some point with just the larger robot, but what other suggestions do folks have for me to keep in mind next time around?

Robot Invasion

Thanks for viewing!

- Bill

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Robot Invasion

Hi Bill,

The WB makes it look like sunlight, which is good.

Suggestions for next time?
    Spend a little time move some of the pebbles around so even the big robot doesn't look like it'll fall flat on its diodes the first step it takes - that's a mighty big rock in front of it
    Perhaps a narrower aperture than f/4.5 next time to get more Depth of Field?
    Perspective correction?

Good setting otherwise

Real Name
    Bill S

Re: Robot Invasion

Dave,

Yeah - I definitely had the thought about a narrow aperture for more DoF, so that's certainly on the list for next time.

I actually kind of liked the pebbles laying around the scene - to try and give the feeling of a semi-crumbled castle. However, I definitely see your point about that one directly in front of the larger robot - it definitely is distracting.

Also, what do you mean by "Perspective correction"?

Thanks for the comments/suggestions.

- Bill