Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Menai Suspension Bridge

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

The Menai Suspension Bridge

This is my second trip to the Menai Straights and like my original visit the weather was poor and the tide was out.

This is the iconic Menai Suspension Bridge designed by Thomas Telford and completed in 1826, connecting North Wales with the Island of Anglesey .

Looking at the positive side, I will just have to go back next summer clutching a weather forecast and tide timetable and shoot it all again - what a hardship!

Best viewed at larger size.

Aperture: f/5.6 Shutter Speed: 1/100 ISO: 200
    Last edited by ChrisH; 18th October 2011 at 07:36 AM.

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: The Menai Suspension Bridge

Nice shot and agreed looks much better at larger size.

Real Name
    Steve

It is nice, lots going on in the forground, maybe a longer lens.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Chris,

I like the aspect ratio as it stands, but I agree with Steve that there's quite a lot going on in the foreground and with that bush/tree on the left, but cropping wouldn't be good.

Definitely worth a trip back

Real Name
    Alex

Hi Chris,

I have visited Menai a few times and it always takes a good photo. I am sure you will have fun trying to go back and get another shot. At least there is a nice car park and viewpoint for you to stand around in and wait for the best light. Here's one I was fortunate enough to see last year:

If only there was a raise tide, decrease cloud and add sunset glow filter in Photoshop.

Have fun on your next trip.

Alex

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Thanks for your kind comments.

Dave - I agree about the busy foreground - I did consider cloning but as you can se it is not an easy or quick solution. I could not avoid the tree/shrub without risking falling over the cliff . There is another observation point nearer the Britannia Bridge but sadly my time was limited and I had to choose this view point to get the pano.

Alex - great image, it is very much what I had in mind with sunshine, high tide and the snow on the hills behind.

Real Name
    Alex

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the comments. Incidentally I did not want to hijack your thread. It was more an example that you just have to be in the right place at the right time. I am no professional photographer but can point my camera the right way when needed. I think this is a case in point that timing and location make great landscape images. However this might be a debate for another thread.

Cheers,

Alex

Real Name
    Keith

Don't beat yourself up over this shot Chris because I think you have pulled off a unique shot. I think every image I have ever seen of this bridge have been the chocolate box versions with lots of water and distant hills, nothing wrong with those I hasten to add , but this version, refreshingly in my opinion, shows it warts and all. There is a wealth of stuff in the foreground for the eye to wander around in and explore and I hardly notice the naked branches in the corners, whilst the bridge stands proud over it all. I really like it

Keith