Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Stormy Hong Kong

Real Name
    Bobo

Stormy Hong Kong

A view of Hong Kong that is not often seen by visitors and even less photographed due to difficulties with getting an elevated access. Less so in this sort of weather.

The foreground used to be the former HK International Airport (closed in 1996 or 1997). In a couple of years this waterfront, the runway, will become a huge cruise ship terminal. The airport lands to the right will be turned into a new business district.

Just sharing.

Stormy Hong Kong

Stormy Hong Kong

Stormy Hong Kong

Stormy Hong Kong

Stormy Hong Kong

Stormy Hong Kong

Stormy Hong Kong

Real Name
    John

Re: Stormy Hong Kong

The skyline is very interesting as well, looks almost mountainous in the 1st-3rd image, brought out more clearly in the 6th.

Real Name
    Bobo

80+% of the total land mass is made up of hill and mountains. Most of the place is made up of hundreds of small (and bare) islands. It has only 2 large tracts of relatively flat land - the side from which the pics were taken and a larger area that is closer to the border with China. It is something of a miracle that the place can hold close to a 8 million population.

The last pic shows part of a mountain known as Lion Rock due to a huge rock formation at the top which looks like a crouching lion The opposite side shows Victoria Peak from which almost all the touristy pics that the world sees of Victoria Harbour are/were taken.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Bobo, I landed at that airport once. What a scary experience. I was in a mid-cabin seat and we made a sharp right turn and then a steep descent. All I could see out the windows on both sides was a close-up of steep green mountain walls then in a flash, we were between white buildings on either side that were even closer. The runway extended out into the bay so if we didn't stop quickly enough, we were in for a swim. It was only a matter of time before a mishap would end in tragedy. They were wise to build a new airport.

Real Name
    Richard

Great images. The way they are filling in Hong Kong Harbor, you will soon be able to walk from H.K. Island to the Kowloon Peninsula! Hong Kong is one of my favorite places although I enjoyed the ambiance more when it was a British Crown Colony....

Real Name
    Bobo

Frank - hehe, yes in those days landing was an experience. But ----- only one plane every went over with no casualties from brake failure or some sort of mechanical issue. The new one really no options not to as this one was way way over capacity. Actually the new one is already nearing that point and there is a 3rd runway in the works. I will have to dig out a pic of myself standing on the first bits of reclaimed land that eventually became the new airport.

Richard - the public finally wised up to that and the bit going on right now is the last of it. True about the ambiance, just felt "more right" back then. A much more stressed environment now with the population mass and crowd in the popular areas. One reason why I do not live here anymore but do visit these parts a couple of times a year. Doing so caused me to miss the boat on a 2 week photo group visit to the Gobi Desert, Inner Mongolia. Grrrrrr.