Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Merry-Go-Round That Shakes

Merry-Go-Round That Shakes

Merry-Go-Round That Shakes

Obviously, I need more practice and patience on night photography. C&C are welcome.

Real Name
    Ian

Re: Merry-Go-Round That Shakes

Al,

Cant see why you say that? We all need more practise!

Exposure from looking on my iPhone screen doesnt seem too far out, you will always lose a little detail around bright lights in night photography.

Composition wise, which equally applies to the daytime, I find the positioning of the figures to the left distracting, but obviously they are part of the scene and it would be a soulless shot without anyone. Maybe try and make the figures a more important part of the composition, whether as a candid shot or whether you 'position' some friends or others in a suitable spot.

I might also be tempted to do a second, slow exposure of the roundabout to show more motion blur, and if you really want to lose folk out of the shot, consider a neutral density filter which will change everything and present you with a whole new set of interesting challanges

Quote Originally Posted by shreds View Post
    Al,

Cant see why you say that? We all need more practise!

Exposure from looking on my iPhone screen doesnt seem too far out, you will always lose a little detail around bright lights in night photography.

Composition wise, which equally applies to the daytime, I find the positioning of the figures to the left distracting, but obviously they are part of the scene and it would be a soulless shot without anyone. Maybe try and make the figures a more important part of the composition, whether as a candid shot or whether you 'position' some friends or others in a suitable spot.

I might also be tempted to do a second, slow exposure of the roundabout to show more motion blur, and if you really want to lose folk out of the shot, consider a neutral density filter which will change everything and present you with a whole new set of interesting challanges
    Thank you viewing Ian and for your observations and recommendation. I was just disappointed with the photos when I uploaded it, I thought it was my blurry vision which makes it blurry the way I looked it at the camera but it was "really" blurry. LOL! Anyway, there's always time for practicing and it'll be good the next time.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by jupiterlush View Post
    Obviously, I need more practice and patience on night photography. C&C are welcome.
    Hi Al, this is a great photo under these lighting conditions. Assuming you were on a tripod, there is still a lot of movement here that will cause blur at 1/8 sec. Even someone steping on or off the merry-go-round will cause it to blur at this speed. If you are trying to get the merry-go-round to be tack sharp, you'll need a longer exposure so that you can get the aperture from f5.6 to closer to f16 and that means that the people will be blured more. So you have to decide if it's the overall scene or just the stationary parts that you want to be sharp. If it is the overall scene, gal, you've got it!

As Ian and Frank have said, there isn't a lot wrong with that shot.

Ideally, if possible, I would have preferred a slightly different camera angle which would have included a fraction more of the left side, and given more impact to the people.

But otherwise, you have captured a scene which included some difficult lighting problems.

Thank you Frank, you made me smile again. The carousel wasn't moving at that time, so I thought I could capture it with sharpness, so I'll take your suggestion on longer exposure...but if I got it right then...I thank you!

Geoff, this is only one of the two decent picture I had apart from the several photos I took that night that's why I said I'm disappointed. There were people on the side that you were referring at but I cropped it. Anyway, thank you so much and I'll do it again!