Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Lightscoop?

Real Name
    Richard

Lightscoop?

http://the-gadgeteer.com/2009/11/10/...tscoop-review/

Has anyone any experience with this gadget?

I have no use for this since I either use off camera hot shoe flash or my studio strobes.

However, there are lots of people who do dog rescue and have DSLR cameras but, no hotshoe flash. Many of them would balk at the thought of buying a hotshoe flash after dropping a lot of money on the DSLR. If they could improve their rescue dog pictures slightly at the cost of about $30 U.S. Dollars, they might decide it is worth it.

I do recommend that they shoot their dogs outside if they don't own a hotshoe flash but, that is just not convenient for some folks. I also realize that you cannot light the world with a miniscule onboard flash but, for a dog four or five feet away this just might be sufficient. Especially at ISO 400 or 640...

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Re: Lightscoop?

Yes, not with that toy exactly but have played with many as experimenting with the PuF is a fascination for me and I have made many adaptors.

Its limitations are:
     can only be used inside
     not so fantastic if the room is big or high / dark ceilings
     not great for Vertical Orientation.

This (or a similar) off the shelf product might be better for your uses – if you can keep the SD to about 12ft or less.

I think you'd be better with a diffuser product, than a bounce product for that job.

WW

Real Name
    Richard

WW,
    The diffuser looks interesting but, I wonder how it would be for eliminating the horrible "blue" eyes of dogs. The red-eye reduction doesn't seem to minimize or get rid of the blue eyes.
    Richard

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

. . . no idea, but for $20, one person could try it - or "DIY make" a test sample.

I've made several diffusers for the PuF and they work OK at close range for human people (re not having any "red eye") but that is usually outdoors, with the Flash as fill - but still at close range (head shot / half shot with a standard lens).

WW